Just got my Extension Tube

dmanning11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone just got my extension tube in the mail to day so I ran out in the fading light and took a bunch of macro pics,

OMG its hard to get a good shot with a 1mm depth of field!!!!:confused:

I found if I switched to my 55-200mm zoom lens I had a greater range of control, so I have spent the last hour fine tuning my technique in my salt water aquarium.

Here are my first three pics please let me know what you think.

#1. Tiny spider (2mm across the abdomen)

_DSC1374_2Custom.jpg

#2. LPS coral (field of view is about 20mm across)

_DSC1402_1Custom.jpg

#3. Very small anemone (the big one on the left in 10mm in diameter)

_DSC1383_1Custom.jpg

Jeepin59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I am also thinking of getting a set up tubes, and I was wondering(if you don't mind) what brand of tube did you purchase and have you any issues with them sticking to lens or camera body. The reason I ask this is the reviews of the tubes on Amazon and other sites do tend to concern me. Thanks for any reply.

OP
D

dmanning11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have a Sony SLR A-Mount, I just went on eBay and found generic extension tube from china that has the internal connectors for autofocus and aperture control. It has a set of 3 different lengths 13mm, 20mm, 36mm. But I found that the auto focus has issues with a 1mm depth of field so most of my focusing is manual, still it's good to have the apature detection and control.

The construction is surprisingly good and they lock in place with a satisfying click and work very well.
Cost was about $55.00

OP
D

dmanning11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I just tried to take a pic of a rather nasty looking spider, but he did not like the flash.
The flash went off and he just disappeared, I thought oh well he must have run away, as I stand up I look at my hand holding the camera and there he is on the back of my hand ready for action.

One girlish scream and a frantic waving of my arms later, and I am safe.

To quote family guy. "Damn nature, you scary!"

Most reactions

ClickASnap