Just got my first photo job

maxalmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got the call from a local comedy shop that they want me to do shots of the cast and crew along with photos of the theater...This should be a riot as it's a cutting edge comedy group with a lot of twisted and weird alternative skits.

I'm doing this for free so that I can get some exposure to build up my portfolio, nice thing is the guy said that if the images are nice that he can hook me up with paying jobs for headshots and advertising photos. Also, the theater is looking for a photographer to do shows during the week and they will also pay, I have no idea how much and have no idea how much to ask.

I'll be using my D700 with the sigma 24-70, figure this would be a good lens for all around use?

The 700 has a built in flash, but I'm wondering if I'll need a dedicated unit?

I'm guessing that I won't need any releases or legal forms as this is kinda casual?

I'm going to print up some business cards to hand out and the theater is going to give me a free listing on their site along with free adds in their printed flyers.

I'm going to order a studio lighting setup of off amazon, light boxs and backgrounds so that I can do some headshots of friends and relatives.

For somebody like myself, who is not a pro, what is the going rate for headshots?

Whats the going rate for doing photos of a comedy show?

Take model releases with you just in case. Just a smart thing to do.

The on camera flash isn't gonna do you any favors, get a hot shoe speedlight, SB-600 or SB-800 will work just fine, plus you'll need it later for the headshots.

For pricing, take into account the amount of time that will be spent there, travel expenses, PP time, prints. Then add on top. You don't wanna go so low that you aren't making money or just barely breaking even.

Thanks for the reply... I'd already been looking at flashes, the built in flash is kinda worthless. Just picked up the SB600, I've been comparing it to the 800 and 900, but for the price difference and functions, the 600 seems to have great reviews and will do everything I need.

I'll spend most of the night practicing and figuring out even more settings...

While you're there, I would try some shots without flash. I shoot a lot of Bluegrass Festivals and decided long ago to keep the flash in my bag. Not saying I'm the best event photog out there, but I really prefer no flash shots. If you meter on the comedians you'll find that there's enough light to shoot as low as 400 asa anyway. Just a thought. Maybe shoot both ways the first night. I mean you should only really have 2 settings, one for flash and one without. Just jump back and forth.

Let us know how it works out for you and be sure to post some shots.

Good luck.

Thanks, it's kinda exciting....I'm a marketing guru with 20+ years of experience.

I've also started working with realtors who deal in multi million dollar listings, I'll be sending out printed "Invitations" offering a free photo shoot of an upscale property ($500-$700 here in vegas for that service). I don't like the term "coupon or discount" so I invite them to use me for free..LOL

I'll also do the same for the local spas and resorts, offering them 1 invitation to use me for a product shot as long as they allow me to display a portfolio or framed photo.

Should have the website up and running in 2-3 weeks.

These are just a couple of ways I'll be networking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back