Just got rid of my SLR - Now what to buy?

tadyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to this forum - and I am looking for some helpful advice as to which camera I should get next.

I sold my Canon EOS Digital Rebel, all the lenses I had for it, the flash and bracket, bag, filters, etc. - the works....

Why? It was just too much to lug around for everyday use. I didn't use it at Christmas time for this reason, and I recently spent a month in the Philippines and I didn't take it there either for that reason. I took a little 3.2 mp Samsung point and shoot that I paid $120 for about 2 or 3 years ago.... It's performance was sub-par.

After Christmas, I decided I would sell the SLR camera because although I really liked it, it is just impractical for everyday use. For me, it took the fun out of photography.

So now, I am looking for a non-SLR digital that will be a top performer. Price range is $400 - $600 or so. One of my biggest priorities in the new camera is that it should be able to take good photos with no flash. I dislike using flash when I am photographing people. With my Canon SLR, my most frequently used lens was a 50mm f/1.8. I used it almost all the time - and used no flash. That lens was great.

Also, for those times when using flash is unavoidable, it would be great to be able to aim the flash at the ceiling or off to the side or something. This might be too much to ask of a non-SLR, but if it's out there, I might be interested.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!http://travisdyson.com/gallery/album32

Welcome to the forum.

I would have a look at the Canon G7. I've read that the noise level, which is usually a problem with non DSLR cameras, is very good. It also has a hot-shoe for an accessory flash. One thing missing is the lack of ability to record RAW files.

Here is a review

If you are looking for a point & shoot that performs well in low light situation, I would suggest looking into Fujifilm. Their high ISO (~800) is really good compared to other brand. Some models even have ISO up to 3200 (FinePix F30). Although the 1600-3200 range is not quite comparable to that of SLR's, but it would be usable in extreme situation. But for everyday use, ISO 800 should be more than enough, and Fuji's cameras perform really well at this range.

Since you said SLR's are not practical for everyday use, I would assume that you are looking for point & shoots that are "pocketable", so I would suggest looking into both Fuji's F- and E-series, especially the F30, and E900.

The F30 has ISO up to 3200 (not that it is stellar, but it's usable in extreme cases), and its 800 and 1600 outperform many other cameras' 400 range. It is really a point and shoot, so it lacks a lot of manual controls.

The E900 only has ISO up to 800, but it has manual controls for more serious users.

Both are well within your budget, and are not as bulky as SLR's.

Hope this helps.

Well, you should definitely get something with image stabilization. I was going to suggest the Canon G7 too, but it is reportedly noisy at higher ISOs since they crammed so much resolution in it. If you read the reviews on it at bhphoto.com, 95% of customers are delighted with it. It is the reviewers that complain.

In general, you will find that point & shoots are sub par compared to SLRs. But the high end ultrazoom point & shoots can be quite good, optically. They will never come close to an SLR for action; I found that out yesterday while shooting snowboarders with my Olympus C-750. One good shot is all you can hope for. The rest of the time, you wait for it to focus, shoot, and save.

I would consider Olympus' offerings, as well as Panasonic. Make sure you get a wide angle adapter for either one.

If you like low light without flash, consider a good tabletop tripod. You don't need a table to use them. I use them held against trees and walls all the time.

From a P&S perspective, there isn't much out there that impresses me except for two cameras: Canon G6 and G7.

The G6 has some features "missing" from the G7 but the G7 is more advanced. I still shoot and totally enjoy my G1 (yup. still have it). For me, pairing up with my 550EX flash is a must.

Thanks to everyone for all the great helpful suggestions.

I actually went with the Panasonic Lumix DZ7 - and I must say that I was *extremely* disappointed. It just did NOT cut it.

So, I took it back and ended up getting new Nikon D40. It is significantly smaller than the Canon EOS Rebel I had before. I also used to use Nikon "back in the day" -- and I frankly like the controls, etc. better than Canon. I have used it for a couple of days and I think it will work nicely.

It isn't exactly pocket-sized, but I suppose it is necessary to have a DSLR for what I am needing to use the camera for.

Thanks again!

TD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back