Just got the 65mm, need focusing rail and flash holder suggestions

Shakespeare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a Canon 65mm on craigslist and couldn't pass it up. I'm saving up for the 24EX flash, but until I get those funds, I'd like to get some sort of attachment for my 550EX flash so that I can keep it near the end of the lens without me having to hold it. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm in need of a focusing rail. Looking for suggestions for that as well.

S

I just got this: Amazon.com: Fotodiox Macro-Rail-4 Fotodiox 4-Way Macro Focusing Rail - with Fine Tuning Control, Tripod Mountable - for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung Cameras - Black: Camera & Photo

Certainly cheap and not on par with some of the uber upper end stuff, but it is definitely better than I expected it to be. It is solid (no play at all) and handles the weight of my T3i with the MP-E65 lens and the MT-24EX flash without issue. The adjustment is smooth, easy to control. Honestly, I can't see what a really expensive rail will provide that this won't...but that is probably due to my inexperience with the more expensive units.

So far I haven't taken any "serious" photos with it, mainly because I like bugs and I haven't found any I've wanted to shoot with the set up yet, so all I've done is play with it and to try out a freeware stacker program I downloaded (CombineZP).

I also got this tripod at the same time: Amazon.com: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AGH Aluminum Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head: Camera & Photo

I really, really like that articulated center column, will make some macro shots much easier to get. The pistol grip ball head is nice too. It's not very compact though and it's a bit heavy. It does fit in the tripod holder on my backpack though, but is a bit unwieldy for packing around all day.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, that's the same tripod I have, so I really appreciate the advice.

If anyone can speak to the flash bracket, let me know.

S

Thanks, that's the same tripod I have, so I really appreciate the advice.

If anyone can speak to the flash bracket, let me know.

S

Look around at some of the macro rigs on the forum here. I see a lot of folks using one of those flex/ball jointed arm thingies to mount flashes on.

Most reactions

Back