Just got the 85mm 1.8G! :-)

What is this fine tuning a lens you speak of?! I have never heard of this before. I recently got a 50mm f1.8 for my canon rebel T3 and I've noticed it's not as sharp as I'd like for it to be. Not sure if I have the option of fine tuning on the rebel T3, though. Anyone know?

You should probably start up a whole thread on that. It could be a number of things, not sure focus issues.

AF fine tune is basically just calibrating your specific lens with your specific body in terms of AF performance. I'm not sure about canon, but the higher end bodies have the functionality to do your own fine tuning in the camera system. if your camera body does not support this function and you know it needs to be (make sure the lack of sharpness is from a back or front focus issue and not a technique or other issue) then you should be able to send them both in to canon, or somewhere else to have the adjustment made.

What is this fine tuning a lens you speak of?! I have never heard of this before. I recently got a 50mm f1.8 for my canon rebel T3 and I've noticed it's not as sharp as I'd like for it to be. Not sure if I have the option of fine tuning on the rebel T3, though. Anyone know?

You should probably start up a whole thread on that. It could be a number of things, not sure focus issues.

I agree, post up a new thread and we can discuss it there, sorry about the slight derail OP

There is one this I can say about this

TEASE!!!

Congrats :mrgreen:

:)

I'm really happy about the lens. It's probably all I'm going to be shooting with for a while... :D

There is one this I can say about this

TEASE!!!

Congrats :mrgreen:

:)

I'm really happy about the lens. It's probably all I'm going to be shooting with for a while... :D
I hear yah
This lens is so sharp.
As I mentioned few times on other threads I was debating whether to get the 85mm 1.8G or 60mm 2.8G Micro and I even went to the camera store to try both.
The 85mm was indeed slightly sharper, simply a VERY impressive lens but at the end I decided to go with the 60mm.
When in the future I will get a full frame camera I will get the 85mm too.

I wasn't sure if the 5200 had AF fine tune or not, I knew the 7k and 7.1k had it but wasn't sure about the other DX models. it sounds like yours is pretty good, the requirement for AF fine tune can change on different bodies though because how much correction is needed depends on combined tolerances within both the lens, as well as the body.

I'll have to check out your images later, for some reason the firewall at my other job here blocks imageshack.

The D5200 doesn't, which makes it unsuitable for fast lenses in my opinion. Lenses and camera bodies can be fully functional, fully pass QC and still not be calibrated perfectly with each other. Putting a lens like the 85mm f/1.8G on a D3x00 or D5x00 body is a gamble, you'll either get a camera/lens combo that happened to work well together or you don't. And if you don't...you have no way of fixing it. It's pretty clear that Nikon doesn't think that the entry-level DX camera owners are in the market for fast glass.

AF fine-tuning should be considered a mandatory feature for a decent DSLR, if you plan on progressing past the variable aperture kit zooms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back