Just joined the DLSR club! Memory issues

SleightOfHand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I suppose you can call me a self taught photographer and I just recently got a hand-me-down camera from my mom, a Canon EOS D60. It's more than 10 years old I guess, but I would guess its still an upgrade from my Panasonic DMC-ZS8 Point and shoot :) I bought a Transcend 32GB 400x for it, and while it works, I seem to have issues with the memory card not holding the right number of photos. After formatting the card through the camera, it says that there are only 2018MB and I can only fit 278 RAW photos. I took the camera out for a test run and was able to take 290 photos with 3 of them being corrupted. Reading the card on the computer says there is a 1.97GB capacity. Maybe there is an issue with the card?

After writing this, I did some research, and it looks like that formatting your memory card directly on the camera can actually reduce the storage capacity of the card! Attempting to fix it by formatting through windows doesn't help much, but after getting the HP disk storage format tool I got quite close to fixing the issue (although now the tool says the volume is too big to format). Anyway, I guess the lesson here is to be careful with using large memory cards on older cameras. If anyone can help with this problem, I would be very grateful :)

Welcome to TPF.
Yes, the copatibility might be an issue. 10 years ago 4 gigs was the top. You might face a bit of a problem here as old firmware was not made to handle this newer technology. It is good that camera reads this card at all.

Check your camera manual and see what the maximum size for the memory card is. Odds are that it will not handle SDHC cards. As Timor stated, 4gb was the maximum until just a few years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back