just joineddd, got some lenses questions.

alexandermjoyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i just posted in the intro section, blah blah blah. BUT i need a new lenses. i have a d90 currently using 18-105mm and tamron's 90mm macro. but i need something for car photography. i've heard good things about nikon's 50mm 1.8G but then i've been told to get a 10-20mm? maybe sigma's? i'm a photo major but i'm still at the stage where it's like "hmmmm, what lenses do i really need for this situation?" so input would awesome. gracias! :thumbup:

So look at the photos you currently take and read the exif info attached to them.

Are you shooting at 105mm often? Do you need more telephoto?

Are you shooting at 18mm often? Is it not wide enough?

Are you always in the middle somewhere?

By looking at the info you already have and asking yourself these questions you should find the range of the next lens you need. It's hard for anyone here to tell you for certain what to get since we've never seen what you shoot. The information is at your fingertips.

Welcome to the group. Go through the forums and read a lot of the old messages. There are lots of posts about lens selection lately.

So look at the photos you currently take and read the exif info attached to them.

Are you shooting at 105mm often? Do you need more telephoto?

Are you shooting at 18mm often? Is it not wide enough?

Are you always in the middle somewhere?

By looking at the info you already have and asking yourself these questions you should find the range of the next lens you need. It's hard for anyone here to tell you for certain what to get since we've never seen what you shoot. The information is at your fingertips.

Welcome to the group. Go through the forums and read a lot of the old messages. There are lots of posts about lens selection lately.

solid, thanks! but when it comes to car photography specifically would you have any suggestions or input on the 50 and 10-20mm?

For me it would depend. If I'm shooting where I get one car alone with lots of space the 50mm might be my choice. If I'm shooting cars at a show or rally of some type where it's typically crowded, I'm going with the wide angle so I can get as close as possible to eliminate people from getting in the shot.

Or maybe a 24-70mm zoom? If the Nikon is too pricey, Sigma make an EX version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back