Just looking for feedback

Bone Puddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had my first attempt at "studio" photography with a improvised set-up (read: cheap) but I think it turned out fairly well. Please let me know what you think and how I can make it better. Thank you in advance.
$IMG_1892post.jpg

The lighting seems to be at a good intensity, but its a little awkward to me. Maybe add a hair light? The catch lights in the eyes look nice!!

Definitely a good start; a couple of thoughts however. The shadows seem a bit harsh to me. This could resolved by either moving the light closer to the subject or diffusing it more (better option), and I think it might have been a good idea to pull your light a little more toward the camera; it seems very far image right (oh, and watch the cropping - she's missing fingers).

Not a bad first attempt. It's hard light. If you look at flow, the hair is going against the light. The posing is lackluster since the body is square to camera and doesn't play into the light. Her head is in the masculine tilt, which isn't necessarily bad, but I don't think it works in this image. It looks like you brushed exposure onto the right arm and maybe other parts. Lighting should be exact in camera. You shouldn't have to adjust so much in post, if that's the case. The shadow side of her skin seems super warm.

The lighting seems to be at a good intensity, but its a little awkward to me. Maybe add a hair light? The catch lights in the eyes look nice!!

Thanks and YES I agree. Theres something thats off but I dont know what it is. Feels like the left side of the image needs the work but thats what I'm trying to figure out. I think maybe my fill light wasnt strong enough or adding a back light or hair light might work. I just dont have the experience to troubleshoot.

Definitely a good start; a couple of thoughts however. The shadows seem a bit harsh to me. This could resolved by either moving the light closer to the subject or diffusing it more (better option), and I think it might have been a good idea to pull your light a little more toward the camera; it seems very far image right (oh, and watch the cropping - she's missing fingers).

Yeah, the fingers are natural. She used to run with the mob and didnt pay a debt (lol - thanks, I didnt even notice).

You make a really good point about diffusing the light more. I just kept seeing the hard line and trying to reduce the intensity but adjusting the flash. Now that you say it it makes sense. /facepalm

Thank you.

Not a bad first attempt. It's hard light. If you look at flow, the hair is going against the light. The posing is lackluster since the body is square to camera and doesn't play into the light. Her head is in the masculine tilt, which isn't necessarily bad, but I don't think it works in this image. It looks like you brushed exposure onto the right arm and maybe other parts. Lighting should be exact in camera. You shouldn't have to adjust so much in post, if that's the case. The shadow side of her skin seems super warm.

I agree with the posing. I just don't have experience with it and to be honest I was concentrating on the lighting.

The shadow side is warm because I was trying to add fill light on that side. Unfortunately I only have one strobe (speedlite) and had to use a cheap clamp light. It was much warmer and I couldnt figure out how to adjust in post - photoshop is not my friend.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back