Just moved to Hawaii. Looking to start doing small photoshoots. Help needed!

ARippons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently just moved here to Hawaii with my Husband. Even before moving here, I had a huge passion for photography. My husband bought me my first SLR camera and I've experienced with it a lot over the past 6 or 7 months. I plan on attending college this summer to take some photography courses, but until then I thought about doing small photoshoots for people in the area. I figured I could post an ad on craigslist, but Im trying to find out how to actually make things start to happen. Do I need a license to do this? How much should I charge? etc. etc. etc. Keep in mind that I am NOT a professional photographer. I just do photography as a hobby. I've looked online for the answers to my questions, but I didnt seem to get any help. Hopefully someone here can help me out! I would really appreciate it :]

Welcome to the forum.

Do I need a license to do this?
If you are going to charge people for a product or service, then you need to have a business licence and pay tax on the income.

As for finding clients...:lol: Welcome to the business world...finding clients is what it's all about. Actually, many successful photographers are probably better at getting clients than they are at actual photography.

There are probably a million different ways to drum up business. Word of mouth is usually tops when it comes to photography...so talk to people and get the word out. Being in Hawaii, you could try to hit the tourist market but then it's a lot harder to get word of mouth because the clients are only there for a limited time.

Check out your area and see what other people are doing and if it's working for them. You don't have to do what they do...but it might give you some ideas.

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii!

I might be able to answer some of your questions. You'll need to apply for a General Excise Tax (GET) license from the state. Cost is $20 or $30, one time fee.

As for getting the word out, word-of-mouth is always the best around here. Start with people you know and let them pass the word for you, and as in all business ventures, it'll take time. Network. If you're not involved in clubs or other organizations--get involved. It's a great way to be of service and to meet other people. Once people start to know and trust you, you will be able to generate business, even if it's just at the hobby level.

Pricing in Hawaii--varies greatly. You can do a search and you'll see a wide variety. (I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much to charge, too!)

Anyway, welcome and best wishes with your new venture!

Most reactions

Back