Just Ordered: Adobe Photoshop CS5!

I like that too. Irfanview, a free program also does that too. But I prefer to process my Nikon NEF (RAW) files with Nikon Capture NX2, because it has features not replicated by any other program for the NEF files.

Could you elaborate on this a little more Ken? I shoot RAW with Nikon also.

I like that too. Irfanview, a free program also does that too. But I prefer to process my Nikon NEF (RAW) files with Nikon Capture NX2, because it has features not replicated by any other program for the NEF files.

Could you elaborate on this a little more Ken? I shoot RAW with Nikon also.

If you have not used Nikon Capture NX2 (or any Capture version) you would be astounded by what is does. In Capture when using the NEF (RAW) file, you can change the most basic elements. For instance, suppose you shot all your images with the wrong White Balance. Let's say you were manually set for flourescent. You simply change that in Capture to any type of white balance you want, even altering the temperature to whatever you want it to be. If I use the Active D-Lighting, Capture allows you to cancel it or adjust it even more. I could go on and on.....

There are other programs that allow the processing of the RAW image, but again Capture goes one better. With Capture, all of the in-camera settings at the time of the exposure are kept intact unless you change them. That is no small thing. The other RAW processors don't. That means a lot more time in processing.

Usually I don't have to use Capture, I can use Photoshop with the NEF file and it's no problem. Irfanview will also process an NEF file too. But I use Capture for special "problems" or just because the image is an important one. Capture cannot do what Photoshop does, so I nearly always save the NEF as a TIFF and then finish in PS.

If you can, give Capture NX2 a try. It was actually created by NiK Software for Nikon. NiK pioneered a feature for Capture that is now available for everyone called Viveza that for a while was only in Capture. In Capture it is "Control Point" or "U-Point" technology. The best thing since sliced bread! With this I hardly ever have to use a layer mask!

Ok, I use adobe raw on my Photoshop elements and it sounds about the same. I thought I was missing something special lol thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about ordering the CS5. I can get extended for 199 with the education discount.

Are you saying I should consider NX2 over CS5?

Are you saying I should consider NX2 over CS5?

Absolutely not! NX2 has some features that CS5 does not, but CS5 is by far the more complete processing/editing program.

IF you can have both, and you use a Nikon that produces the NEF (RAW) file, which is probably all Nikon DSLRs, then Capture NX2 is a wonderful "extra" to have.

I could do without NX2 but not CS5.

Most reactions

Back