Just ordered nikon d7000

winnie2457

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've just bought a nikon d7000 getting it in a week. And upgraded from my d3100. Quick question though

I have a 50mm f1.8 nikon lens and it does not autofocus with my d3100 but I am assuming it will with the d7000 as this has the focus motor in the camera body am I right

Thank you very much I look forward to learning my new camera. Any advice on the next lens to upgrade too. I currently have

Nikon 18-105mm kit lens
Nikon 50mm prime f1.8
Tamron 70-300mm

I like doing portraits and landscapes also I like long exposure photos I don't want to spend too much but any recommendations for a new lens would be great thanks

35 or 85 mm prime. Also, the Nikon 70-300mm VR II is recommended. Arguably the best lens in its class.

35 or 85 mm prime. Also, the Nikon 70-300mm VR II is recommended. Arguably the best lens in its class.

+1 on the nikon 70-300 vr lens.
I have both the 35 and 85mm lenses and i use the 85 far more often, even on a DX camera. Its a great portrait lens along with the 50mm.

If you are happy with the lenses you already have I would say take your time to learn this camera, dont rush to buy lenses.
Get comfortable with this camera and then make your own mind what to buy.

I agree with "jrizal" that the Nikon 70-300 VR is an amazing lens but I dont know how much of an improvement will it be over your Tamron (if at all).
If you are happy with the Tamron then I say keep it and get an other lens in the future when you feel you will need.

For portrait get either the 85mm prime of 105mm prime.

Oh and silly of me I forgot to say congratulation on getting a new camera, I love my D7000 and I am sure you will love yours too :)

Thank you very much for the advice I think I will learn the camera and the 85mm prime sounds good for portraits too

Thank you very much for the advice I think I will learn the camera and the 85mm prime sounds good for portraits too
For me the 50mm 1.8G is more then enough for portraits but lots of people recommend the 85 as the one to go for when doing portraits.

Good luck :)

Congrats! If you have the Tamron 70-300 VC lens there really is no sense switching to the Nikon one. If you have an older non VC than either the Tamron VC or the Nikon VR would be a big upgrade...

Congrats, man! I've had my D7k for a few months, it's so much camera, but you'll learn it really quickly. It seems like so much more "hands on" than the D3100, but it really makes everything so much easier.

When picking a lens, "Landscapes and portraits" is kind of tough, because in my ameture opinion, they kind of require different tools if you're using primes. Otherwise the 18-105 will be good for both. I have the 50mm, and the 35mm - the 35 is possibly my favorite lens, though it doesn't get the most use. It's sort of like shooting the 50mm on a 35mm film or FF camera. Something about it is just right for a lot of the time.

For you, I think your lenses are perfect for what you want to do. But if you're just GAS'ing for more gear, I'd try out that 85 for portraits, or the 35 for an "all-arounder" - though it won't be as spectacular as the 50, 85 or the 70-300 for portraits.

Take that recommendation as you will, there are a lot of more knowledgable guys around here. Congrats on the new body!

Congrats! If you have the Tamron 70-300 VC lens there really is no sense switching to the Nikon one. If you have an older non VC than either the Tamron VC or the Nikon VR would be a big upgrade...

Didn't notice that the Tamron is the VC version and not the LD one. I must agree that the Nikon 70-300 VR II wouldn't much be of an upgrade. My bad. :)

Most reactions

Back