Just pulled trigger on siggy 150-600mm

Firmware updates are always risky. I would never update a chips firmware just to have the latest, it's a big gamble. If the update address's a certain issue that I am having with the hardware, then I will do it. This is well known by savy techs but pretty allusive by the average consumer. I always recommend to read the text document that describes what the update addressed. When I was having issues with mine, there wasn't an update available but Sigma applied the update in-house and it was made available to the public shortly after I received mine back. Reading the text document about the update revealed issues I was experiencing prior to sending it in. So in summary, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The update improved focus speed for me. Well worth it.

Doing a firmware update isn't any more risky than buying a new lens. I've had far more problems with new purchases. I remember when I built my computer, literally every part except the ram and the case fans were defective. I've also had problems with lenses being faulty, and my d750 has a recall though I'm not sending it in. Never an issue with updating firmware on any products. Anecdotal but I don't fear firmware updates :)
That's great. However, OP stated that firmware disabled his 1000 piece of glass. Additionally, I have seen hundreds of other chips updated over the years to only disable them as well. It only takes one time for you to feel the impact.

Firmware updates are always risky. I would never update a chips firmware just to have the latest, it's a big gamble. If the update address's a certain issue that I am having with the hardware, then I will do it. This is well known by savy techs but pretty allusive by the average consumer. I always recommend to read the text document that describes what the update addressed. When I was having issues with mine, there wasn't an update available but Sigma applied the update in-house and it was made available to the public shortly after I received mine back. Reading the text document about the update revealed issues I was experiencing prior to sending it in. So in summary, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The update improved focus speed for me. Well worth it.

Doing a firmware update isn't any more risky than buying a new lens. I've had far more problems with new purchases. I remember when I built my computer, literally every part except the ram and the case fans were defective. I've also had problems with lenses being faulty, and my d750 has a recall though I'm not sending it in. Never an issue with updating firmware on any products. Anecdotal but I don't fear firmware updates :)
I returned my First Sigma and exchanged it. The First was like No OS at all just seem to never kick it at all.The second copy was fine and the updates help improve mine as well.

I read some reports of updates killing the use of a TC other then Sigmas Own TC.

I read some reports of updates killing the use of a TC other then Sigmas Own TC.

You mean with the 150-600?

I can't see a tc being useful on the lens. Cropping gets better results as far as I've seen. It's just not sharp or fast enough for a tc.

I would never put one either but yes the 150-600.

yes guys the firmware update did screw up my lens, but i am someone if i buy something and it is advertised to be able to do this or that it has to be able to do that other wise you are just using half the potential of what you paid for in the end.. new lens seems fine i have started doing some adjustments and i can now see that the IS is working correctly aswell, still not happy with the quality of birds that are far away lets say past 15m. whats the distance that you guys are happy with capturing wildlife and still get nice sharp shots...

Not sure what the limits are, but this was handheld in dull conditions @ 600mm so the iso is slightly elevated- Its not a great shot, but I don't think sharpness is an issue, the bird id probably 40 metres approx

Solitary by jaomul, on Flickr

Here's a malachite king fisher tiny ass bird, I'd say about 6 meters away I think my problem is taking photos of tiny birds being far away, where one looses quality, and maybe I should be expecting less from this lens as it is a cheapy compared to the others out there
image.jpeg

One thing I'm struggling a lot is exposing correctly to the bird aswell

Hard to say. What iso and shutter speed do you have there, the drips on the grass to the left of the bird seem sharp, is that the same distance as the bird. Sometimes it's hard to get correctly focussed when there is branches and growth around the bird.

Still a very nice photo though

I think that might have been shot a little to slow my shutter was on 340 if I'm correct but thought IS would have helped as I was in a hide with camera on a bean bag Iso was 1000 if I'm correct was early morning really bad light

I think that might have been shot a little to slow my shutter was on 340 if I'm correct but thought IS would have helped as I was in a hide with camera on a bean bag Iso was 1000 if I'm correct was early morning really bad light

SS 640
ISO 1000
Aperture 6.3

What is the closest focus distance on that mother? Was it windy? I switch off my VC when my shutter speed exceeds 500, but I use a much shorter lens.

SS 640
ISO 1000
Aperture 6.3

What is the closest focus distance on that mother? Was it windy? I switch off my VC when my shutter speed exceeds 500, but I use a much shorter lens.

Hey bud hope your well, thanks lol I couldn't see my settings off of my phone...

Yes I think there was a slight wind out yes and it was really cold -2 aswell don't know if that make a difference... Closest focus is 2.8 meters on this guy

You're welcome mate. I need to put some pictures up soon, but its been really wet here in Southern Germany. -2 is a nice spring time temperature up here lol. My Tamron I bought recently is terribly soft. Will do some micro adjustments soon, and if I can't get it right I will have to send it back as well :apologetic:

Don't want to hi-jack this thread further. Will put some pics up later.

One thing I'm struggling a lot is exposing correctly to the bird aswell

Aperture priority is fine in some areas. I usually shoot manual and keep an idea in my head of where I need to be. There's usually different degrees of exposure around you, and just adjust the shutter or ISO based on what you need.

I think my biggest mistake with birding was not taking into consideration how exposed a bird really needs to be. I found myself increasing shadows, painting up exposure a little bit, and/or boosting exposure in Lightroom. Pay the price and get the right ISO in camera.

Most reactions

Back