Just saw an Ansel Adams Exhibit

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
Wow - I've seen works here and there but I saw a full exhibit at the Bellagio and it was really incredible. Blew me away! Funny thing is when I saw his 'Yosemite Falls' image (google it if you aren't familiar) I realized it was strikingly similar to one of my images...and I also entitled it Yosemite Falls! Honest to God, I can't recall ever seeing his version before. Thought that was interesting :)

Anyway, I've been to Vegas many times and am here for a conference. I'm way sick of the usual crap, and I'm not much of a gambler. I was really glad this exhibit was on hand, it made my night.

My version of 'Yosemite Falls' is below, and I'm still kicking myself for stupidly shooting it in 1.5MP mode instead of the full 6MP! All I can reasonably do is 5x7 with such a small source. Also having the falls in full force as pictured is apparently quite rare, only happens once every few years according to the folks there. I may never see it this way again.

--Illah

Yosemite-Falls.jpg

Ah but at least you didn't need three pack mules and a week to get there. Something to be said for modern technology.

But then again there is something to be said for the Masters. They don't call them that 'cause they can't spell Adams or Weston.

Would you happen to have any info on the exhibit? I am headed up to Las Vegas and am staying at the venetian the week following thanksgiving. I want to check it out if it's still there.

Edit: I looked on the web and it will still be there when I am at vegas. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

may i ask WHY you shot in a 1.5 MP mode if the camera can do better? Sorry, I am not trying to rub it in ;) .. just courious if this was an accident or if you sometimes on purpose shoot with low MP ...

It was an accident :) I had just gotten the DSLR at the time and was unfamiliar with all the buttons and whatnot. I must have accidentally held down the 'quality' button while rotating the wheel and rolled it off of 6MP mode...

And yeah, the exhibit was really nice. It wasn't Vegas-ified or anything like that. It's just as good as I'd expect at any museum or gallery.

--Illah

ok, "accident" is an acceptable answer (so many accidents of similar type happening to me in fact)

BTW, I never made it to any purely photographic arts exhibiton ;)
.. would like to though.

hey, dont feel badly, i think it works here...

gives it a little organic look... slight grain etc...

it wouldnt be the same without it....

Most reactions

Back