Just started Photography this week, need feedback please :)

NoahMacLeod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
noahmacleod.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I just got a D90 this week and I have really been getting into photography and have taken a few amateur shots. I have over 700 LOL but Ive included 4 of my favourite. Please leave you feedback and criticism as I dont really know what im doing.

Cheers NoahMacLeod

First, what is your critique about these images (pretend they are not yours).

hmm well i think 3 is too bright, 1 and 4 could be in more focus but really i dont know, the reason I asked is because i wanted to find out what people thought of them as to me they look pretty good

Depending on what you were going for, #1 probably has too shallow a depth of field. I think it could work as an abstract with some cropping.
#2 would be better if the main set of leaves were not centered.
#3 might look better in portrait orientation.
I like the last one as it is.

I'd recommend getting a book, or looking for an on-line tutorial on composition, as a starter. There are a lot out there but if you have trouble finding one, PM me and I can point you to one (I'm a mod on the site).

My $.02, YMMV, BNI.

That's a lot of pictures in a week - having enthusiasm is good but you don't have to press the shutter button every time - take your time to see what you're looking at and think about how you're framing the shot. Is what's in the viewfinder or on the viewscreen what you want in your picture? Is everything where you want it to be in the frame?

You could change your vantage point, like with #1, if you'd taken a step one way or the other you could have changed the background so there wasn't that bright orange shape in the background - you could have either kept it in the shot in a different position with the moss and tree trunk, or out of the picture, whichever looked better. You said #3 seemed bright, if you'd flipped the camera into a vertical position (as Snowbear mentioned) you might have gotten more of the boy and less background - as it is you could make copies and crop some of the background. Capturing action can take a lot of practice to get good at.

I like Open 14, and that one to me is seeing something unusual in everyday objects. That one I might have moved a little to get a background that didn't have a brighter spot of sunlight on one side and it being dark on the other side, just try to notice your backgrounds and think about the 'shapes' of patches of light and dark and how you want those in your pictures. Photos have pattern, shape, and other elements of composition to consider.

You seem to have seen things that could make for interesting photos, keep looking and practicing.

Compare your moss picture to this one.

Your leaf picture to this one.

Your Child running to this one.

and your valve picture to this one.

1. The problem with the first one is that it's something we have all seen. In fact, in reality, almost all pictures on this site have been seen before, it's how you express your feelings/emotions that will separate your picture to others. The moss picture I linked is a GREAT example of someone seeing the same as every one else and doing it differently. Resist the urge to just take pictures of things that interest you and focus on going out with a particular goal or vision of what you would like express. Technically, the moss picture is good. Good focus, good lighting, but just not imaginative. What kind of feelings/memories do you get when you see this picture? Can you express those feelings more clearly?

2. To be concise, it's just a leaf. It's put straight into the middle of the frame, it fills less than half of the frame, and it's a little underexposed.

3. The child running was composed awkwardly. A rule of thumb is don't cut off a person's appendages at the joints. This one is cut off at the butt, and because you can't see what the child is doing you really can't know if the child is jumping, running, walking, standing? Part of what makes these types of pictures work is that you know the emotion involved with the action.

4. Personally I think the valve picture is the best because is seems like this was most calculated and conceived. However this comparison to the other valve picture might give you some inspiration. Of course this is my assessment of these our my own and totally up to for interpretation.

Most reactions

Back