Just starting out - D90?

kahope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm looking for a some advise. We decided that it is time to finally get a good camera and now seems like a great time to buy because of all the extended sales on right now, but ending soon..... We have been reading everything we can, trying to narrow our choices down but everything is starting to get jumbled together. It likely doesn't help that we really don't know much about camera's to start with.

We are looking for a good - well rounded camera, but it needs to be able to pictures of the Northern Lights.

My current list includes the D3100, D3200, D5100 and the D90. I have read enough positive things about the 35mm F1.8g lens to know that whatever one we purchase - this will also be purchased.

So it seems the D3100 should be the easy one to cross of the list? Then the D3200 and D5100 seem very similar, with edge going to the D5100? But then there is the D90. I keep coming back to this partly because the motor is in the body, but I guess if all the new styles don't have this then maybe I should just get with the times?

Price wise I can get the 3100 for $319
3200 and 5100 for $430 ish and
D90 for $549

So for us - really just starting out, and more for a hobby to get normal pictures with the option to be able to blow them up larger - what is the best bet. I guess price wise maybe we should get the 3100 with a nice lens? HELP PLEASE....please

The d90 has more advanced functions but check out KEH.. They have great deals on d7000's.

D90 for me too... it's the lenses that you will spend the money on.. the d90 is the perfect start...because the lenses you can use and it's functions will teach you alot when you are ready to move onto a fx/fullframe body

Most reactions

Back