Just starting out!

622Dan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to take up photography as a new hobby, and purchased an Olympus Camedia 8080 recently, just to start off with. I got it for a steal.

To edit, I downloaded and have been messing around with gimp
2.8. I love to be outdoors, so a majority of my pictures will be outdoors/landscape etc.

Do any of you experienced photographers think I'm in a good position to start? Once I get some experience I'll eventually look into buying higher priced equipment. Do any of you have any tips, or just positive advice? Thanks, I'm really looking forward to hearing some feedback from everyone here!

Last edited:
Here are a few thoughts.

I'm not very familiar with your camera or editing software (I use Lightroom for editing), but I will say this. Work with what you have. The best camera is the one you have, so get out there and practice!

My biggest suggestion will be for you to try to learn composition and proper framing of your shots. Also, focus on how to be creative with your shots.

I create videos that I think could help you with this, so here are a few suggestions (1 video and 1 series on a trip to Olympic National park). Links below.

Also, here is an entire series that I made about a recent trip to Olympic National Park. I think this will give you some ideas as well as you see me going out and capturing different shots around the park.

I hope you enjoy them.

First off, the BEST camera is the one you have in your hand...even an iPhone if that's what is it. Though, that's not to say Pro Gear isn't worthless haha.

Shoot manual as often as possible, learn your camera, shoot in RAW, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, as mentioned above composition is KEY. Also, GIMP is like Photoshop which is more for altering photos and not editing them. I suggest using Lightroom, it's most common among photographers and is simply magic. You can get the full download for about $120 or pay $10/month for Lr and Ps as a package for photographers.

Overall, I would stick with the gear you have if it works for you and learn the skill. Get Lightroom for a proper editing software (always use the RAW file). When you come to a point where your gear cannot do what you want (long exposures in day light, faster glass, etc etc) then consider upgrading.

You can put a PRO Camera in anyone's hands and you are not promised good photos, BUT you CAN put a cheap camera in a PRO hands and get award winning shots.

Thank you both for the replies! I have been messing around with my camera a lot, and just need to keep practicing! I will also look into getting lightroom. Thanks again for the positive advice!

I will also look into getting lightroom.
Download the free trial before you buy. There's also software made by your camera manufacturer, which should be provided to you for free. Try that first.

First off, the BEST camera is the one you have in your hand...even an iPhone if that's what is it. Though, that's not to say Pro Gear isn't worthless haha.

Shoot manual as often as possible, learn your camera, shoot in RAW, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, as mentioned above composition is KEY. Also, GIMP is like Photoshop which is more for altering photos and not editing them. I suggest using Lightroom, it's most common among photographers and is simply magic. You can get the full download for about $120 or pay $10/month for Lr and Ps as a package for photographers.

Overall, I would stick with the gear you have if it works for you and learn the skill. Get Lightroom for a proper editing software (always use the RAW file). When you come to a point where your gear cannot do what you want (long exposures in day light, faster glass, etc etc) then consider upgrading.

You can put a PRO Camera in anyone's hands and you are not promised good photos, BUT you CAN put a cheap camera in a PRO hands and get award winning shots.

To speak to your suggestion to purchased Lr and Ps for the $10/month package - this is the Ps CC that I'm hearing about, right? Trying to understand- do you get the full Lr and Ps programs with this, or is it more or less Cloud storage? I see the option on amazon.com for the Lr and Ps combo for $10/month but not the option to purchase Photoshop, so I'm unclear on whether or not this combo is replacing Photoshop or something different altogether or what.
Thanks (and sorry to butt in here - also pretty new to photography in terms of knowledge, at least - welcome!)!

The 10$/month License includes full versions of Lightroom, Photoshop CC and Bridge. You get an option to use some Cloud storage if you choose although you don't have to, I don't. Lightroom was originally designed as an adjunct to Photoshop to catalog photos but has been improved to the point where many, if not most, photographers only need Lightroom. It's also the best photo catalog system I've used, although there are a lot of them out there.

The 10$/month License includes full versions of Lightroom, Photoshop CC and Bridge. You get an option to use some Cloud storage if you choose although you don't have to, I don't. Lightroom was originally designed as an adjunct to Photoshop to catalog photos but has been improved to the point where many, if not most, photographers only need Lightroom. It's also the best photo catalog system I've used, although there are a lot of them out there.

Thank you for this explanation! That really helps clarify things. So you recommend this pack? Purchased through amazon.com for $9.99 / month?

Most reactions

Back