Just starting out...

meganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I'm just starting out with photography and such. I have had regular digitals, and have a 6mp digital now, but I am wanting a dslr. I was looking at the Nikon D80, and I have read a lot of reviews on it. It seems like a pretty nice camera, and there are many things I like about it. But I am sort of on a low budget, and I wouldn't be able to even get the body with most of the prices I have seen. I know most cameras are going to be in that price range, so I'm probably going to have to save up. I probably want to get the body only and get a better lens. What do you think about the D80 though? Or do you suggest another camera for a beginner?

i have a Canon Powershot G3 and i really like it and its not at all hard to use. maybe you should read up on it and see if it has what you're looking for (but its only 4mp, which is fine for a beginner. well depending on how big you plan to make your pictures) good luck with camera hunting =)

The D80 is an excellent bebinner camera. I personally am not an huge fan of the small size but that is just because of my big hands. Besides the only solution to this would be a D200.

From everything I've read the D80 is a fine camera. You might also want to check out Canon's Rebel XT and XTi.

A good idea too is go to a local camera shop and hold different cameras and see which one you like the best.

Thanks for the replies.
I have looked at the Canon Rebel XTi, and I like that camera too.
I'm definitely going to go to a camera store soon, might even be tonight.
But I'm probably not going to get my camera for a little while, cause of the whole money issue.

Hey there and welcome :)

I am a beginner to and just got a Nikon D80. Love it, lots for me to learn but I am having such a fun time with it! Have fun finding what fits you best.

I just purchased a Nikon D40 and love it. It is not as expensive as a D80 and I have read and been told that this is a very good entry level camera. Of course the D80 has more bells and whistles, but if you are just starting out you may want to look into the D40. You can get a D40 with one lens (18 - 55mm) for about $600. They also make a D40x which is a 10.2 megapixel instead of the 6.1. I am a beginner and I am overwhelmed with the D40. There is just alot to learn. Good luck!!

All of the current model DSLRs put out by Nikon, Canon, and Pentax will take technically fine photos, even the cheaper ones. Probably Minolta and Olympus too, but I don't know as much about them. Don't worry about big megapixel numbers. A 6mp DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor is going to be a significant quality increase from most 6mp compact digital cameras.

I have a D80 and I love it.

Do your research first. Be aware that once you buy into a brand, it's hard to change. I choose Nikon in 1969 (yea, that long ago) and couldn't be happier. The Nikon system has treated me very well. That said, make sure you like what you start out with. The last thing to do is go to a camera shop and hold the cameras from each brand in your price range. See how the controls work and how intuitive the camera "feels" to you. As part of your research, look into the options that you may want later. Like lenses, flashes, macro attachments and so on. This will be part of the total cost and effectiveness of the system you choose. Buying a camera for the first time is a big task if done right.

I think you'll be happy with whatever you buy. I did all the research and went to about 3 different camera shops to hold the models and ask different questions and ended up with the Sony Alpha because of price and compatibility with cheaper minolta lenses (and IS built into the camera). However, I probably would be just as happy with nikon or canon.

Most reactions

Back