Just starting....

COP513

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I've always had a camera but never tried to take pictures seriously. All I ever took were still shots. I currently own a Lumix DMC-FZ8, and I'm still learning how to use it everyday. I race motocross so I'll be taking a lot of action shots. At the same time I still want to take "portraits" of my friends. Set up a background real quick and take some shots. Do y'all have tips I could use? I've been told I need a different camera (SLR)?

Thank you in advance.

Hello... Welcome...

Since you already have a Point and Shoot and have just decided to get into photography, I would use it until you outgrow it. If you are still interested after a few months and have a desire to grow photographically speaking then cough up the dough for something better.

For your action and portraiture shots just start off by experimenting and having fun.

I agree with dEARI, cop, you can shoot both action and portraits with the FZ8. It is a good camera, and you can learn a lot about photography with/from it. And when it gets to be time to choose another camera you will know what you want from that new camera, so you will be able to make an informed choice. Your own choice, instead of blindly following some unknown's advice.
And you will save a lot of money twice!

Have fun!

Well welcome to the forum I too am a new person here, also trying to learn. I will say this much, allot of good info and people here. Good luck with your pictures and keep at it.........

look into reading 'understanding exposure' by Bryan Peterson. It's full of information. It takes a little bit of working out, but I believe the lessons he gives in the book can be altered/applied to even P&S cameras

Thank you for the responses! I set up a light the other day and had my friend stand in front of a solid gray wall and took a couple shots. I need to work on lighting it up more. Other than that it was good. I found a website that told me everything about my camera and how to set it up step by step. I got it to where I can take 5 pictures in a row with just a very brief freeze in between. It's really cool when you get the hang of it. I'll try getting some more pictures taken here soon and see if I can't post them up and get a little feedback from you guys telling me what to work on...Where can I get a cheap light set up?

Also, do any of you edit your photos? Would it be a good idea for me to get a program to edit them?

Thank you.

Most reactions

Back