Just to Inflame you.

Luke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Program mode is for idiots
and selective colouring is inane, the novelty died once it had been done thrice.
just to make you argue with me, but i do largely believe what i said.
EDIT:
yeah sorry, allow me to be more clear, i just wanted to know what other people thought, and figured i couldnt do it without an argument, but yeah, i just find it annoying when people selectively colour, cos usually, it doesnt look too good, just cheesy. and i also am an advocate of people really learning about aperture and shutter, rather than leaving it on program and letting the camera think.

Although bandying them around without thought for the effect on others may be different altogether.

I don't get the point of this thread? Are you asking for an argument?

yeah sorry, allow me to be more clear, i just wanted to know what other people thought, and figured i couldnt do it without an argument, but yeah, i just find it annoying when people selectively colour, cos usually, it doesnt look too good, just cheesy. and i also am an advocate of people really learning about aperture and shutter, rather than leaving it on program and letting the camera think.

I taught my son in law on a manual camera... he went digital when I retired... Nikon d100 then d200 now... he went through all the phases and is back to shooting most everything manual... Not sure what that has to do with anything....

Torus34 said:
Not annoyed at all. I'm too busy working in B&W film to worry about what others are doing.
yeah thats th way to be, i just started noticing it all after joining the photo forum, and im very judgemental and unfair. i love BW film. 'ilford delta 400' will you marry me?

You modern buggers, I'm currently using daugerrotypes to photograph a music gig. The metering is a bit tricky and the hour long exposures can be difficult, but I'm getting the hang of it. ;-)

Luke said:
Program mode is for idiots

trying telling that to an astronaut :sexywink:

Luke said:
i do largely believe what i said.

that's a relief. you wouldn't want to be just talking in 'programme-mode', and not doing the thinking (which is important!) :sexywink:

Luke said:
i just find it annoying when people selectively colour, cos usually, it doesnt look too good, just cheesy.

it annoys you and you consider it cheesy. that's fine. that's allowed.

programme mode is convenient. if a computer understands exactly what i want to do, i'm happy to let it decide the settings.

i've used a 35mm slr for over 25 years. when i select 400 iso on the dial, i don't know what's really occuring mechanically/electronically/piezo-electrically (?) that feeds those parameters to the light-meter.
i don't really care either.

the same thing when i drive a fuel-injected car, instead of one with a mechanical carburetor.

bigfatbadger said:
You modern buggers, I'm currently using daugerrotypes to photograph a music gig. The metering is a bit tricky and the hour long exposures can be difficult, but I'm getting the hang of it. ;-)

;) which group ? don't tell me .. Blur, right ?

When leaning composition it’s nice to be able to put the camera in program mode and not to worry about the lighting, also program can be very helpful with action shots, along with shutter or aperture priority too.

Most of my shots with my EOS Canons are ether taken in program or aperture priority. And then I will dial it up or down with in the exposure

I find when I shoot with a digital camera I am a lot more comfortable using it in manual mode than when I shoot with my 35mm. I wish I shot more manual, but I'm usually more concerned with getting the shot so I just set it in program so that I will at least get something that I'm pretty sure will be usable, rather than using it in manual and accidentally screwing something up. With digital, it's a lot easier because I can always check the shot and delete it if it's crap. (Btw just to clarify, I currently shoot 95% 35mm and will sometimes use a friend's or teacher's dslr on occasion)

I sometimes shoot in program mode.... when I'm too busy doing other things and don't mind something else worrying about exposure on my behalf

I sometimes shoot aperture priority.... when I've got DOF in mind...

I sometimes shoot shutter priority.... when I've got motion stop in mind...

I sometimes shoot in full manual mode.... when I want full control over everything. Slows me down... makes me observe.. makes me compose.

I sometimes shoot in evaluative metering mode... when I don't mind the camera doing that too.

I sometimes shoot in spot metering mode... when I want to take readings from specific points and take advantage of my camera(s) multi-spot meter. (I love this metering mode)

I sometimes shoot without a meter at all.... when I feel like enjoying the whole shooting with a vintage camera experience.

I sometimes shoot digital.... when its techno-advantages serve me. When my geeky side wants a voice.

I sometimes shoot B&W film.... when I see my self in the darkroom slaving for the perfect print.

I sometimes shoot with medium format... when I see a need for a no compromising negative to enjoy in the darkroom.

I sometimes shoot.... just because....

and I could care less what other people think...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back