Just to recap

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My next purchase consists of a lens, polarizing filter for all lenses, a flash, and a sync cable (?) for the flash so I can use it off camera...

Here is everything I am purchasing... Can someone please confirm that this is everything I should need for all things to work?

--Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Glass Filter (Adorama)
--Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Cameras (Adorama)
--Bower Dedicated Dual Intelligent Digital Flash / Ring Light Combo for Canon EOS Cameras (Adorama)
--Precision Design E-TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Amazon)
--Adorama Step-Down Adapter Ring 58mm Lens to 52mm Filter Size (Amazon - it's only $1.99 vs. $6.95 on Adorama)

Is this everything I should need for the flash and to make this polarizing filter fit on all my lenses including the sigma lens listed? All 3 lenses that I will have are going to be either 52 or 58mm diameters.

I just re-read the name of the step down ring on amazon...

it says 58mm lens to 52mm filter...

Is that going to screw me up???

Isn't the 58mm end going to be where I put my filter, and then the 52mm end will screw on to the lens???

I don't want to screw this up! lol I know it's ony $2 on amazon, but I would rather not have to exchange and wait longer to be able to use my CPL ... :( lol

should I be getting a 58mm CPL, and get a 52-58mm step up ring? So the 52mm end is where the lens is, and the 58mm end is for the filter? Or is that where I will run into vignetting possibly???

I'm confused now lol

anyone??

I just re-read the name of the step down ring on amazon...

it says 58mm lens to 52mm filter...

Is that going to screw me up???

Isn't the 58mm end going to be where I put my filter, and then the 52mm end will screw on to the lens???

I don't want to screw this up! lol I know it's ony $2 on amazon, but I would rather not have to exchange and wait longer to be able to use my CPL ... :( lol

should I be getting a 58mm CPL, and get a 52-58mm step up ring? So the 52mm end is where the lens is, and the 58mm end is for the filter? Or is that where I will run into vignetting possibly???

I'm confused now lol

a flash, and a sync cable (?) for the flash so I can use it off camera...
What will trigger the flash?
Often you have a radio transmitter on camera either in hot-shoe or via pc-cord that sets of a flash connected via radio receiver. I'm not 100% sure how Canon uses their wireless technology (master/receiver).

My next purchase consists of a lens, polarizing filter for all lenses, a flash, and a sync cable (?) for the flash so I can use it off camera...

Here is everything I am purchasing... Can someone please confirm that this is everything I should need for all things to work?

--Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Glass Filter (Adorama)
--Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Cameras (Adorama)
--Bower Dedicated Dual Intelligent Digital Flash / Ring Light Combo for Canon EOS Cameras (Adorama)
--Precision Design E-TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Amazon)
--Adorama Step-Down Adapter Ring 58mm Lens to 52mm Filter Size (Amazon - it's only $1.99 vs. $6.95 on Adorama)

Is this everything I should need for the flash and to make this polarizing filter fit on all my lenses including the sigma lens listed? All 3 lenses that I will have are going to be either 52 or 58mm diameters.

I do not believe that is correct! The sigma 70-300 has a 58mm filter so the Hoya cpl will fit the sigma but not the others. The others are 52mm so I believe you would need this instead [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bower-Step-Up-Adapter-Ring-Filter/dp/B0000AG92Z/ref=pd_sim_p_1]Amazon.com: Bower Step-Up Adapter Ring 52mm Lens to 58mm Filter Size: Camera & Photo[/ame].

The step down lets you use a 52mm filter on a 58mm lens. Hope this helps.

the cable I am getting has one end that hooks into the hot shoe, and then another end (that looks like a hot shoe) that the flash connects to... It's basically like a cord (the one I'm getting at least) that extends the hot shoe so you can use the flash off camera... you don't fire it remotely... the flash will fire the same way the pop up flash would if you were using the pop up flash...

I am starting to wonder if a wireless version would be better so i can fire the flash when I need to? But at the same time, I wonder if that matters... don't you want the flash to fire whenever you take the picture?

okay... got the step up ring fixed...

now about the flash thing? :/ lol

okay... got the step up ring fixed...

now about the flash thing? :/ lol

If the flash is on and connected to the hot shoe via cord or remote I believe it will flash every time. In auto the pop up flash will only flash if the meter thinks it needs it or it is already up I believe. In Av Tv and M the flash will fire every time if hooked up and on.

Why are you getting the off camera flash cord the bower unit comes with one for the ring light?? Unless you want to use the speedlight off camera?

wanted to be able to use the speedlite off camera as well for taking non macro pics...

wanted to be able to use the speedlite off camera as well for taking non macro pics...

With the cord you are limited to cord length , I recommend this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Wireless-Receiver-cowboystudio/dp/B002W3IXZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269266390&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Electronics[/ame] .

i plan on attempting the moon and some macro... also action shots of kids...

lots of stuff ;)

Most of the "inside" stuff I post is just because I am trying to practice getting settings and stuff right...

I want to eventually get to the point where I can make a little bit of money on the side with photography, but I don't want to be totally pro where it is my only source of income...

Most reactions

Back