Just what is wrong in photography today?

Ahh yeah though strange; most places I know that have glass don't have a duel barrier setup - at least in the UK most I can think of have duel barrier typically before wire (and that's often on things like cats).

Not certain but I wonder if maybe they did that at least at the cat complex to keep little kids an annoying teenagers from pounding on the glass and upsetting the cats.

Nobody but one guy uses flash in our area and he inevitably scares off 20 birds to get a shot of one.
Now I understand that a lot of birds may not care but I rather miss that one bird than scare them all off.

It's interesting but it seems no one has ever really done a major study into the effect of flash on animals beyond "it doesn't hurt them". It's an area I've tried to look into before and never really found any firm answers; which I think suggests that its something many people just go with what they want.

About the only form of study I could find was in relation to zoo animals where specific individuals would show aversion to flash and others wouldn't. But even then it can be hard to discern (at times) what is triggering certain behaviour. I've seen big cats pacing and snarling and generally being annoyed whilst having their photos taken but it was nothing to do with the camera; but that it was a near feeding time on a starvation day.

For wild animals I've never really found anything - the closest you can get is that some more experienced macro photographers will notice that certain species of bug will react to flash; normally in an aversive manner; the very fast ones can even move enough that between the flash firing and getting the shot they've actually moved out of frame partly. I know myself I've seen hornets twitch their antenna whenever I used the flash.

However most animals, in my experience, tend to ignore flash; its a bright point of light like the sun peeking through leaves or reflecting off rippling water. Often as not I think the sound of flash+camera is possibly more of a trigger.

Exactly my experience as well. Have also talked with some wildlife biologists and they all agreed that no studies have been made, AND that there seems little evidence that it disturbs birds much. Anecdotally though two of them have noted that naturally skittish birds on nests have been known to abandon a nest when flashed....although even then no direct evidence that it was the flash.
As you said, "However most animals, in my experience, tend to ignore flash; its a bright point of light like the sun peeking through leaves or reflecting off rippling water. Often as not I think the sound of flash+camera is possibly more of a trigger"
I think think this is the most correct explanation. The only rabid, screaming, hissy-fitters about flashes around birds that I have run into have all been 'Birders'....and these people are not mentally stable, so I give no weight to their opinions....merely get out of the area as quickly as possible!
:bouncingsmileys:

everything or nothing depends on your expectations and what you consider photography

Would-be no-name, mid range photographers gone YouTube Vlogger expert is one problem that I can think of.

Would-be no-name, mid range photographers gone YouTube Vlogger expert is one problem that I can think of.
does it really matter? Just dont watch them.

Question for some. IF someone you do not like says that the sun rises in the East, must it then cease doing so? Our opinions of the messenger do not affect the veracity of the message.

Well. I did skip around a bit to see if it's worth my time.

When I landed on his SSOC nonsense, I didn't need to listen to anything else. Anyone, and I repeat anyone, who advocates SSOC doesn't understand photography sufficiently (film or digital) to go on a 25 minute rant about what's wrong with it.

Question for some. IF someone you do not like says that the sun rises in the East, must it then cease doing so? Our opinions of the messenger do not affect the veracity of the message.

Well, the problem is that the sun doesn't rise anywhere else and you can prove that. What this guy is saying is merely his personal opinion and it doesn't mean that he's right. If that's his own definition of the art of photography, great. Not everyone shares the same opinion on top of that he's bitching about the exact things that he's doing. LOL

Last edited:
First thing that strikes me is the poor editing. What did he say that they cut - you can see the cuts - very amateur. Nobody used a proper video mixer...

And what's with the sunglasses? It's not sunny!

First thing that strikes me is the poor editing. What did he say that they cut - you can see the cuts - very amateur. Nobody used a proper video mixer...

That's videography

That's videography

But he is earning money from the google ads on this video, yet it is shot and edited really poorly. I don't want a Tony Northrup set up in a studio, but waiting a couple of hours between two sentences is just unnecessary. He appears in a different position in every very visible cut. Much of the video is shot in the mid/late afternoon and suddenly when the sun comes out it is pretty much golden hour. Then he talks about it as if it is deliberate. More like he had about 150 retakes. You see half of them!

If you are going to use a video to have a rant about people not knowing their craft, at least get the video to be shot and edited like its been done by someone who knows what they are doing. He maintains that he earns enough to pay for himself and assistant and a videographer, but is he paying those people or they just doing his bidding, and by the look of this video learning precisely bugger all from the experience.

Having seen some of his work from links here, I think he lacks some skill and taste himself. While I agree on the use of composites, you don't need to use PS to get well overcooked skies like that one on the beach, you can bugger it up completely quite happily on LR or even the freebie editors.

Finally, perhaps it's just me, but wearing sunglasses throughout just makes him look untrustworthy and too cool for school. It is harder to trust what someone says when you can't see their eyes. Also what kind of idiot shoots photographs with their sunglasses on?

If you think that's bad, go watch Archie Luxury rant about watches.

What's wrong with Photography these days????

NOT ONE DAMN THING!!!!!

What is wrong is a bunch of people called photographers going around telling everyone what they think it should be.

It is what it is, Like it, don't like it, but get over it.

You don't need editing programs to get over cooked skies, just set the white balance wonky and boring sunset becomes colorful.

Most reactions

Back