Just wondering how many Pro Photographers use a Nikon D40 as one of their cameras?

PatrickHMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hmscoatings.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering how many Commercial / Pro photographers have a Nikon D40 that they use in their business when they use a DSLR?

Maybe not as the only camera you use, but as one of them.

And what percentage of your business was taken with the D40?

I know that lenses are also a big part of the equation, but I am asking this question specifically about the D40 Body only.

Just wondering...

Thanks!

I have known pros use 350Ds as their main camera (entry level DSLR for Canon - now no longer produced, but still sold) and when combined with the right skills and the best glass they have captured fantastic shots.
the body is the third on the list ;

1) The photographer - key part - if the monkey holding the kit is no good, the shots will be no good - no matter how good the kit is

2) The lens - controls directly what light enters the camera body and very much is key to capturing an image

3) The camera - the magic box that captures the light - better is good, but a better body won't give you a quality improvement in teh same line as better skills or better glass.

I have seen a few people on here who do weddings and such and list D40's, D50's and such for their gear. Couple of them even list the modestly price lenses as well. With good camera control, and not trying to sell to bill board companies. Obviously it can be done.

Reason I posted this was from a conversation I had today. Someone said that when he was looking for a professional photographer, if the guy used a D40 that was a deal-killer for him, as he did not consider a D40 to be a professional grade camera.

IMHO - for what it does, for what it costs, the D40 is as good a camera as there is for the money and capability.

Light, easy to use (and to get used to), versatile, does a nice job when the clickerperson knows what they are doing.

Makes it great for using outdoors and at sports events. Out of most all of the Nikon DSLR's it would be my FIRST choice to drop in the mud, get rained on, or to lo$e.

A little limited with the lense selection, but that can be corrected to some extent.

Still looking for how many guys out there use them, and to what percentage?

THANKS!

Patrick

FWIW - I don't miss 35mm film photography much at all anymore.

The person you were talking to is correct. It is not a professional grade camera, it's an entry level consumer camera. I would never hire someone using one either but that's just me, others may feel differently. Personally I just feel that someone who is calling themselves a pro and charging accordingly should have pro equipment.

Depends on what you shoot of course, but in general terms even a lower level pro should have a 12 megapixel or higher main camera and a backup camera no lower than 8 megapixels.

skieur

I would not hire a pro with a D40.
Like it was said above, right gear for the right job. and there are many things a pro body can do that a D40 can't.

the only thing i could think of would be the 1/500 flash sync... good for fill on sunny days.... the 6 meg is fine as long as you crop tight enough.... which you would be doing when flash filling anyways...

wouldn't be a main camera by any means.... but another tool in the tool box..

huh.... Makes me wonder if the guy wants to hire a photographer or rent gear.

My first digital was a Canon 10D. I used it for more than a year. I'd still use it.

I don't know the Nikon line. Does a D40 have a fully manual mode? If so, I have no problem with it.

In the past, I always thought of a camera as something to hold the lens and the film.... some had shutters. I think the same applies here. With a decent lens, the "virtual film" (sensor) is adequate for printing up to 20x24.

But for the record..... NOOOO.... I wouldn't count on a D40 as my primary tool.

There are many differences, some are real game changer depending on the shooting you are required to do.
Below are some of the difference between a D40 and a D700.

Max resolution 6.0 million Vs 12.1 million
Sensor size 23.7 x 15.5 mm (3.67 cm²) Vs 36 x 24 mm (8.64 cm²)
Pixel density 1.6 MP/cm² Vs 1.4 MP/cm²
Sensor type CCD Vs CMOS
ISO rating Auto, 200 - 1600 (plus 3200 with boost) Vs 200 - 6400 in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (100 - 25600 with boost)
Auto Focus Nikon Multi-CAM530 Vs Nikon Multi-CAM3500 FX
White balance override 6 positions, plus manual preset Vs 6 positions, plus manual preset and Kelvin
Max shutter 1/4000 sec Vs 1/8000 sec
External flash Vs hot-shoe plus sync connector
Continuous Drive Yes, 2.5 fps, unlimited JPEG Vs 5 fps @ 12 mp, 8 fps @ 12 mp (with battery pack)
Timelapse recording No Vs Yes
Storage types SD/SDHC card Vs Compact Flash (Type I)
Uncompressed format RAW Vs RAW, TIFF
LCD 2.5 " Vs 3 "
LCD Dots 230,000 Vs 922,000
Live View No Vs Yes
HDMI No Vs Yes
Environmentally sealed No Vs Yes

Not to mention the Nikon CLS can be controled from some of the Pro line camers with no additional commander.

Last edited:
geez... you took the time to write that out?

I've seen pictures from a D40 look better then a D3. It's all about the photographer and their lighting.

^ but that isnt the question... the question is would a pro use a D40 as one of thier cameras.... and the answer is largely no.

You may get the odd 'pro' who has one knocking around, but if they are in it full time and have been established for some time they wouldn't use and entry level camera for clients..... ever.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back