Justo got my 20D, need help.

J.Bat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbatdesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I just got my 20D and I have my 50mm 1.8 For some reason the shutter speed is soooo slow. I think its on 5.6 instead of 1.8. How do I fix this problem? Is this lens ok on this body?

Just change the aperture.... it should work basically the same as on any other cameras. You might make sure that the rear wheel is turned on.

Is the aperture reading 1.8 or 5.6? If 5.6, just turn the big wheel on the back.

If it's reading 1.8, something's wrong. Not sure how to fix that.

the on/off switch- when u turn the camera on, flick the switch one notch higher to that line that points to the wheel. this will turn the wheel on, and when u turn it it will change the aperture greater or smaller respectively.

i didnt know how to do this either when i got my 40D...but after i checked the manual i figured it out :)

hope this helps

-Dan

O..M..G.

You got a new camera, and don't know how to change the aperture? How is that beyond the basics??

Try reading the manual?

Thanks Jerry, very helpful... God forbid someone on this forum is here to actually learn something...
As dan said, when you turn it on turn the on/off swith all the way up to the line above "On". Set the camera's mode dial to manual (M) or AV mode. When in manual you can change the aperture using the big wheel at the back (also used to review your photos) and in Av mode you can use the wheel at the front (next to the shutter button) to do the same.

If this isn't a wind up then I'm Santa himself!

You got a few folk there J.Bat lol :lol:

O..M..G.

You got a new camera, and don't know how to change the aperture? How is that beyond the basics??

Try reading the manual?

Well newbies probably have no idea what Aperture means. They asked for help, not some dumb comment. Why are you so negative in most of your posts?

In all fairness the OP has posted work in the galleries, a lot in the professional galleries no less from paid work - There's no way he doesn't know what Aperture means! or how to use a camera..

Well I hope that's the case.

Well newbies probably have no idea what Aperture means. They asked for help, not some dumb comment. Why are you so negative in most of your posts?

Well for one this is in beyond the basics.... It would help if half the posts in here weren't the absolute most basic questions that are answered by cozying up with the manual to your shiny new $500+ camera for ten minutes.

Beyond the Basics
Have you been at photography for awhile? This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!

Reading is FUNdamental.

april fools day came early this year and it ruffled a lot of prideful feathers at TPF

Thanks Jerry, very helpful... God forbid someone on this forum is here to actually learn something...

How to set the aperture????

First, that info is in his manual (in the time it took to TYPE that post he could have had his answer!). Second, one would HOPE that someone that has been here since MARCH 2008 knew that there is a beginners section just for that.

To help you out:

Under the words
clear.gif
Beyond the Basics
Have you been at photography for awhile? This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!

It is not the section called "teach me how to turn on my camera" or "how to do the most rudimentary adjustment" section.

If this was in the Beginners section, I would *never* say anything,

Please.

Most reactions

Back