K100d, D40, or D40x?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Still haven't picked up that much wanted DSLR, bought a computer instead ;)

Anyways, I was looking to get one on boxing day to save myself some money, but still can't decide on one. The main camera's that I am looking at are The Pentax K100D, and the Nikon D40. Possibly the D40x if there is a good deal. One of the features that really stands out to me of the Pentax K100d is the Auto Focus, and the Image Stabilization. However, I have heard a great deal about the AF, that it doesnt focus where you want it to, and that manual focus you can get more detailed. Anyways, thats about all I have researched, haven't had much time between Christmas shopping. So, which camera should I look into?

all new DSLRs have an autofocus ability.
The D40 however doesn't have an AF motor so you have to use the AF-S lenses to get AF.

If you're gonna get a D40 get the regular one, not the X...waste of money if you ask me.

I'd personally say the Rebel XT would be a better bet, but that's just cause I dont like the D40 and don't have experience with the Pentax.

The D40/D40x cameras both autofocus just fine with Nikon AF-S (and some Sigma) lenses. Both can focus manually as well if you prefer.

Nikon does not build the image stabilization into their camera bodies, but rather the company puts them it in the lenses. Nikon lenses that do this are called VR lenses.

While on the surface, this looks to be a big advantage for the Pentax, all of the reviews that I have read show that the lens based image stabilization works from a stop to two stops better than camera based... depending on which lens you are talking about... lenses like the Nikon 55-200 which have the "first generation" are not at good at image stabilization as lenses like the 18-200 or the 70-300 in the consumer lens lines... but both systems are rated better by the reviews I have read (check out Popular Photography from a couple of months ago, I think)...

I own a D40, and I can tell you that while it can take fantastic pictures, I am not thrilled by the autofocusing being limited to AF-S only lenses...

Heh, pick up a good deal on a 30D, now that the 40D is out the 30D is tumbling, I picked up a 30D+kit lens for £499 and sold the kit lens, Its an awesome camera for the money :-D

Okay, let me re-phrase my question;

What would be a good camera with lots of abilities and features? I ask that because the camera I have now (Sony Cybershot DSC-W55) I find limiting to shutter speeds and other features. I really want to buy an SLR that will last me a few years without having to buy another one because of its limiting features.

Again:

What would be a good camera with lots of abilities and features?

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm a nikon fan and I'd say go for the Pentax or buy a Nikon D70. The D40 is seriously way to limiting for any photography fan. It's a glorified point and shoot with the benefit of being able to swap lenses, and even then only a few lenses. A waste of a camera.

A D70 would be good or a D50 or just save for a D80.

Going the used rout if fine if you remember that the shutters on consumer grade cameras are usually rated to 50 thousand actuations and Nikon charges around $280 (last I heard) to rebuild a D70/50--YMMV.

I'm a nikon fan and I'd say go for the Pentax or buy a Nikon D70. The D40 is seriously way to limiting for any photography fan. It's a glorified point and shoot with the benefit of being able to swap lenses, and even then only a few lenses. A waste of a camera.

I totally agree. Pentax K100D or Nikon D70, or Canon Rebel XT but not D40 or D40X.

The D40 is a precision tool which delivers outstanding results. It's quiet, small, light, and enjoyable to use. It has a killer LCD and shoots in auto and manual like any other camera. Why anyone would want to waste their time and money on anything else is beyond me.

I personally also would step up and buy second hand.

I'd personally go for the D40x. I own one and its really great. Its key features are the following:

10 megapixel DX format CCD (1.5x FOV crop)
Nikon Image processing engine (as D80 / D200)
3D Color Matrix Metering II, 420 pixel sensor (as D80 / D50)
New Multi-CAM530 three area AF sensor
ISO sensitivity range 100 - 1600 plus HI 1 (3200 equiv.)
3.0 fps continuous shooting, unlimited in JPEG
No status LCD, new LCD monitor based status / settings screens
Help suggestions on LCD monitor (eg. scene too dark, try using flash)
Large 2.5" 230,000 pixel LCD monitor
Bigger viewfinder view (x0.8 magnification, 95% coverage)
Short shutter lag and viewfinder blackout
Support for SDHC (SD cards over 2 GB in capacity)
In-camera retouching
  • D-Lighting (shadow / highlight enhancement)
  • Red-eye reduction
  • Trimming
  • Monochrome
  • Filter effects
  • Small picture
  • Image overlay
USB 2.0 with PTP and Mass Storage device support
Very compact, light body (smaller, lighter than D50)
Improved menu user interface (as D80 / D200)
New EN-EL9 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V, 1000 mAh)
New 'Version II' AF-S DX 18-55 mm kit lens

The Differences compared to the D40 are the following:
  • 10 megapixel sensor
  • Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
  • Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
  • Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)*
* Slower with noise reduction enabled

Good Luck! :)

Most reactions

Back