K200D or D40

Knapton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so im planning on getting a new camera and I was kinda settled on the D40 until I saw the K200D from pentax. I am pretty new to slr's but not completly. Ive used one before and ive read up on how to use them. The thing that made me look at the pentax was that I will be shooting mostly mountain biking so it will be outdoors in the dirt,dust and rain and the pentax says it has all the seals and is waterproof/dustproof. So im wondering if its worth it to pay more money to get that than the D40 or will it be fine? Also which camera is actually better?

When buying a camera, don't look at how the body performs as much as that you're buying into a family of lenses. Pentax has some great glass for cheap, but Nikon wins the fact that the sheer number of lenses compatible with Nikon is mind blowing.

As for the D40 and mountain biking, don't get it. Its cheap, small, and it feels kind of like a toy. The K200D definitely wins if you're comparing the two. However, you might want to look into the D70 line. Not as beefy as the K200d, but still is durable and has twice the shutter life of the D40. Same goes with the D80, which is more comparable to the K200D.

I originaly wanted a D80 but there to much $ for me so i figured on the D40 as its like half the price. I look into some used D70 though

Also consider that the K200D has image stabilization built into the camera. It might not be as effective as in lens IS (canon and NIkon) but since it will be available for all your lenses including early manual focus K-mounts, it is a feature that should weigh into the Pentax's favor. The Pentax also has a 10mp sensor versus the D40's 6mp sensor.

IIRC, neither camera is weathersealed.

When buying a camera, don't look at how the body performs as much as that you're buying into a family of lenses. Pentax has some great glass for cheap, but Nikon wins the fact that the sheer number of lenses compatible with Nikon is mind blowing.

As for the D40 and mountain biking, don't get it. Its cheap, small, and it feels kind of like a toy. The K200D definitely wins if you're comparing the two. However, you might want to look into the D70 line. Not as beefy as the K200d, but still is durable and has twice the shutter life of the D40. Same goes with the D80, which is more comparable to the K200D.

This is one way to look at it. Another is history: There are no "pre-AI" or "modified AI" Pentax lenses- any K-mount will work just fine on a K200D (barring non-Pentax K-mount lenses, like these specifically designed for automatic Ricohs). If you're willing to work with manual focus, there is an unbelievable backlog of great lenses to work with, and many are very cheap.

I use a K100D in addition to various K-mount 35mm bodies, and I chose my Pentax over the D40. The K200D is a generation ahead, and the D40 really doesn't compare (unless, of course, you listen to those who tell you that you're no one without a Canonikon camera, which is silly). The Pentax is built more solidly, has a higher resolution sensor, and has in-body image stabilization (which means that my 50mm from the 70s has IS- something Nikon cannot offer).

If you want a camera from Pentax that is closer to D40 specs, check out the upcoming K-m entry-level model.

If it were me. I would look into the Canon Rebels. You have all the Canon lenses and you have great image quality. an XTI is just a little more than a d40, but well worth it in my opinion

im starting to look into a D70s used now since there only about 500

Between the D40 and the K200, technically the K200 wins by a long shot. But keep in mind that it uses AA batteries instead of a battery pack (Which I say is a big minus). The D70s is a good choice. Though I have a friend who is trying to sell his D70s after having bought a K20. hehe. Maybe you two should hook up.

im starting to look into a D70s used now since there only about 500

I bought a used D70S and it has been great so far.

The K200D is no doubt a better body, with newer technology, a higher resolution sensor and in body IS. But, if you decide to buy Nikon, the lens family is more promising should you decide to get serious.

I'm not saying that you cannot get serious with a Pentax setup, but keep in mind that Pentax has yet to role out a Pro level body. Once you invest in a couple of lenses, its very hard to change systems.

Pentax has yet to role out a Pro level body.

Please define "pro level" body and how the K20D and the K10D prior does not fall into that category. Keep in mind that the TPF has a member who is a professional fashion photographer who is invested into the system.... (albeit I haven't seen him post in a while)

But keep in mind that it uses AA batteries instead of a battery pack (Which I say is a big minus)
IMO, it's a plus over a minus. I am guessing it would be 4 AA batteries. If proprietary batteries cost $40 (is that a good estimate?) you could get 8 sets of AA batteries for your camera at $5 per 4. Even if the battery packs are $20 (generic?), that's still 4 sets of AA NiMH batteries. I just bought new NiMH batteries for my camera, 4 batteries for $5. I already had the charger.

Battery runs out in the field? Stop at any corner store and grab some regular AA alkys and continue on. A big plus in my book.

The K200d is a fantastic little camera. Fully weather sealed, as long as you're using a sealed lens as well (you'll know which lenses are sealed by running your finger around the mount, you'll feel a rubber ring)

Also, I'd like to hear why someone thinks that in-camera stabilization isn't as good as in the lens stabilization. Pentax, Olympus and Sony all use in camera, and it works fine for them, and saves a crap load of money on lenses.

The only downside to the Pentax, for mountain biking shots is that it has the slowest auto focusing out of the bunch. With entry level cameras, Canon has the fastest focusing. If you can handle slower focusing, it's a fantastic little camera (I just bought the K20d myself, I don't do sports :p )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back