Karalee

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I noticed your caption listed in 'location' under your ava and you mentioned that you moved from NZ to the U.S in a post today ...
Was just wondering , as I am looking into applying for a work visa so I can work and live in New Orleans for a while ....was your move work orientated ...? If so , I would love any advice , if you have any to offer...

I'm aware of the rigmorale of needing a company to 'sponsor' me for a work visa etc ... then theres green card lotteries etc etc ..I've been procrastinating on it because there just seems to be so much red tape :shock: *blah* !

Oh ... speaking of New Orleans btw ....
( I know I probably should be posting THIS one in the gallery section perhaps ...) ....
but has anyone been to N'awlins and taken some shots they could post for me ? :D .... ( lookin back over old posts tonight , I see that Carlita has but not sure if she has pics online ..)
I'm just missin the place , thats all ;) ... any photos I see online of the place make my nose squish against the monitor all of a sudden ( well , only for the first 20 seconds of seeing em :roll: :lol:).

New Orleans is a cess pool of inbred cultures and old aristocrats that exploit a larger poorer minority class....
I hate New orleans, but that prolly cuz my GF moved there for a job. I am too far away LOL

Ah see but I look at it from completely different eyes my friend ;) ....
Have done since my fascination started with the place , when I was a wee lass :lol:

P.S Plus I have no girlfriend who has moved there lol.That helps ;)

oh you're fine with a thread here too... we can leave this a discussion on the city itself and trying to move there.

Or you can trade me spots... you live here in arizona and we'll live there in Melbourne ;)

Why not make it a three way trade? I need another break from here for a while. And to think it is summer time too.

voodoocat said:
oh you're fine with a thread here too... we can leave this a discussion on the city itself and trying to move there.

Or you can trade me spots... you live here in arizona and we'll live there in Melbourne ;)

Hehe done deal. I live in the city ( downtown ) right in the heart of the action ,Voods, so you and your wife would be spoiled for choice for places to go/things to do ...if we swapped houses lol. ;)
I love my Melbs and this will always be my home but allllll I wanna do right now is live and work ,for as long as my heart desires , in NO whilst I write a book.Then do a BIG roadtrip to as many places as I can get to in your country....
After that ... drive across Europe ( not askin for much am I :D ? ).
So if anyone has any advice or can lead me to a site etc about obtaining a work visa in the States ... I'd appreciate it :)

Geronimo said:
Why not make it a three way trade? I need another break from here for a while. And to think it is summer time too.

Geronimo whereabouts do ya live mate ?

God, this thread freaked me out :shock: :lol:

So, my moving experience has been... not the easiest thing in the world. I was lucky enough to have moved post 9/11 where now things have toughened up. I, moved on a whim and yes became one of those "overstayers" you hear about all the time. After three lawyers, a lot of money, forms and being sponsored by a well to do family, paperwork is currently in the works.

My advice to you would be exploring the job prospects, ive had a ton of friends move over on working visas to have them expire and the INS not want to renew them.

The most recent example would be this couple I met when I moved to Montana. They are both non american, have met and lived here for 10 years on work visas. Even had their son here in america. Unfortunately this year they applied to renew their work visas and were denied, so they are chosing whether or not to go back to his home country, or hers. To their son, this is home.

What Im saying is to do it is not easy. Its tough, but the rewards can be great. Especially for young people with the travel bug. I have seen more and done more then i ever fathomed I would do. Its a tough thing to come to terms with, but with the good comes the bad. And the paperwork side of the whole ordeal im afraid, is the bad.

I have been here 3 years, and am now just getting somewhere with my immigration status. Im not saying it wil take you this long, but the realisation that its a tough process and a stealthy hand for filling out all those forms (as well as a supply of cash for the filing fees that accompany them) come in handy.
Hope this insight has been some help, if not shoot me a pm or e mail.

Hiya Karalee :)
Lol @ this thread freakin ya out ...musta just been by seein a thread named after ya .... sorry chica :lol:
Thanks for replyin , it helps to know other ppls experiences as far as the work visa situation is concerned :). I'm gonna try looking up on the net and seeing if there are sites for employment in the states for travellers etc.... hey I'll even cold call /send letters/resumes to bars in new orleans or wherever if need be :lol:.....
It takes a lot of guts to move to a new country Karalee , so good on ya girl ! Good luck with everything and hopefully you'll get it all sorted soon !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back