Kata 3N1-10 vs Tamrac Evolution 6

jdoug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've narrowed down my search for a smallish "going out for the day to take some pics" bag to these two. I love the concept of side access that allows me to get to the camera (Canon T2i) quickly without having to take the bag off completely, plus room to take a long a few extras besides the photo gear. I also like that they can convert from sling to backpack.

Has anyone tried both of these bags? They both look pretty ideal for what I need for a small "daypack" type bag. I have the LowePro Orion Daypack 200 but I don't like having to take it completely off and then apart to get to the gear, plus I don't need quite that much extra cargo space for a "short photo excursion" type bag where I don't need to take every piece of equipment I own-- just the camera with attached lens and maybe one or two other lenses, plus typical accessories (polarizer, etc.). I mostly do outdoor photography (scenics, wildlife).

Ok how about has anybody tried either one of these bags? I've seen the Tamrac in person, but not the Kata.

I haven't owned this Kata you are considering but I own a Kata DR-465. I looked at a sling bag but it puts all the camera, lens and accessory weight on one shoulder. For me I couldn't see how I could walk around all day and not be crippled at the end of it. Sounds like you are younger and fitter! :)

Well this particular Kata converts from a sling to a regular backpack if needed (as does the Tamrac, I believe). I like the versatility that brings. I had also considered the LowePro Slngshot but have ruled it out for that very reason-- didn't want one shoulder to get sore. :thumbup:

I owned the Kata 3N1-20...i ended up selling it because I found it was too boxy and camera bag looking. That's just my opinion but it did hold up well, was very protective and comfortable.

Well this particular Kata converts from a sling to a regular backpack if needed (as does the Tamrac, I believe). I like the versatility that brings. I had also considered the LowePro Slngshot but have ruled it out for that very reason-- didn't want one shoulder to get sore. :thumbup:
Yeah, ok.. the ability to convert into a backpack sounds good. Right now I'm pondering how to lug around my newly acquired, but used, Mamiya 67 Pro SD. The body + lens weighs as much as all my Nikon gear put together so I'm interested in what you decide for yourself. :)

fsquare, good to know-- thanks. I don't really mind the boxiness; in fact, in my opinion it's less boxy than the Tamrac. Kombipete, I'll try to keep this thread updated, but knowing me, my decision will probably end up being based on whichever one I can get the best deal on.

I just purchased the tamrac Messenger 4...the tamrac bags seem to be good quality...not familiar with the other brand so I can't speek to that.

fsquare, good to know-- thanks. I don't really mind the boxiness; in fact, in my opinion it's less boxy than the Tamrac. Kombipete, I'll try to keep this thread updated, but knowing me, my decision will probably end up being based on whichever one I can get the best deal on.
That's fair enough.. a good basis to make a decision on given two similar bags :)

Meant to update this before now, sorry. I ended up with the Kata 3N1-10, and I really like it-- I've taken it on several outings so far. As I suspected, I do like that you can convert it between sling and backpack, which I have done "on the fly" during a trip to Sea World. My sister, interestingly enough, got the Evolution 8, so I was able to compare the two the last time I was at her house (even though the 8 is larger than the 6 of course). I think I would've been happy with either the Tamrac Evo 6 or the Kata, but I got a really good deal on the latter, which kind of made my decision for me. The only thing is that you have to buy the tripod attachment separately with the Kata, and it's built in to the Tamrac. Not sure if I'll be carrying a tripod much with this bag, but you never know. I've been looking at the Clik Elite Obscura for longer outings, such as hiking in the mountains and such (we like to go to Tennessee in the summer) and it has a tripod carrying provision as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back