Katie - 12.24.10 - First try at a model shoot

Just a bit nit picky: Her hair is mess in most of these pictures. it's very distracting to me. The poses are more "senior portrait" than high fashion.

*just my 2 cents

yeah... but he's the photographer, not a make up and hair artist... correct?

So if a client's make-up is running or her hair is messed up you wouldn't say anything? As the photographer you need to pay attention to detail including making sure the hair and make-up are in the right place for the shoot. It's easier when you have assistants, art directors and creative directors at the shoot with you to help but if its just you you need to pay attention details. There is nothing wrong with her hair and make-up STYLE. the problem is the photographer did not make sure the hair was properly placed. The model can't do it, she can't see herself if something is out of place.

They look great, good job on editing and taking the pictures :)

Did you use light-room or Photoshop?

And a tip for your next photoshoot, at 1st when i started to take pictures of models, i was preparing bunch of ideas and poses for the model...

But later on, i thought that if the pictures had Themes, they would look better, like a story to follow.... i know it’s hard, but trust me the feeling and the passion of the pictures will look way better.

That’s the way i think about it, you might agree or disagree, but over all you doing a good job so far :)

Cheers mate

Just a bit nit picky: Her hair is mess in most of these pictures. it's very distracting to me. The poses are more "senior portrait" than high fashion.

*just my 2 cents

yeah... but he's the photographer, not a make up and hair artist... correct?

So if a client's make-up is running or her hair is messed up you wouldn't say anything? As the photographer you need to pay attention to detail including making sure the hair and make-up are in the right place for the shoot. It's easier when you have assistants, art directors and creative directors at the shoot with you to help but if its just you you need to pay attention details. There is nothing wrong with her hair and make-up STYLE. the problem is the photographer did not make sure the hair was properly placed. The model can't do it, she can't see herself if something is out of place.

God bless Photoshop mate. you can’t notice everything during the photo-shoot, for exp, the hair that is stuck in her mouth...

Simple stuff can be ignored and be fixed with Photoshop, Major stuff, should be said to the model.. if the model is new in this field. Then you must be everything to her, starting from what kind of cloth she wanna wear, what poses and what makeup she have to wear. So basically you are in charge of everything.

these are good shots, only suggestion i could give is to have her be a bit more casual and relaxed... doesn't always need to be so posed.

keep up the good work!

rocksteady,
danno~

I love your composition, great job!
I would touch up her skin a little bit, and adjust level in photoshop to give her that pop so the image won't look flat.

Thanks! Yea, I was trying to make them pop out a bit, but I think the ISO range of the D80 got to the shots a bit and I dunno... I'll hopefully be able to tone the ISO range down next time!

7, and 11 she looks like she's going to rip your throat out and **** down your neck. Other than that, you did a nice job for your first model shoot.

Haha, no she was just giving me the poses ;)
Thanks!

I like the set ups in 6,7,8,9 keep it up

Thanks! Everyone has their favorite it seems! lol

I like the photos, 7 and 8 are my favorite. However, the focus seems soft in a lot of them.

edit:Nevermind...they look a lot better on flickr

Yea they are a little soft, i had to turn the shutter speed to balance the light, so unfortunately i sacrificed the shuter speed with the VR on

*just my 2 cents

Well it was just a trial to get used to it and to learn, and that's one thing I learned to pay attention to a bit, either way, she's a model, i took photos of her, she's wearing winter stuff, i'd call it winter model fashion ;)

Nice job...there is something about #4 I really like, I have to agree with some of the other guys #8 is one of the strongest. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I love number 3 you are drawn right to her eyes. Number 12 also looks like something you would see in a catolog, not sure if that is what you were after.

lol I was after a wide variety of shot types and trying to bring her eyes out and get used to people photography ;)

Lovely model, but am i the only one that thinks most of them are soft

Yea, a bit soft, and yes she is!

They look great, good job on editing and taking the pictures :)

Did you use light-room or Photoshop?

That’s the way i think about it, you might agree or disagree, but over all you doing a good job so far :)

Cheers mate

I used both ;) I edit initial in LightRoom and get the parts exposed that I want, then export to photoshop and go from there!
I appreciate the suggestions too, I'll keep it in mind next time!

these are good shots, only suggestion i could give is to have her be a bit more casual and relaxed... doesn't always need to be so posed.

keep up the good work!

rocksteady,
danno~

Well she's done quite a bit of modeling and pageants in her day, and she's in her early 20's so I guess it may be time to branch out and get different poses

I like! The one thing I do notice is that the focus seems to be soft in quite a few of these; that was the only major distraction/thing I didn't like.

Very nice! Main thing I would work on is getting those eyes in focus. A few shots seemed a little soft, but I am sure that you will keep getting better and eventually that won't be a problem. Great job on your first model shoot!

I love 8 9 and 11

Just wish 11 did not have as much head room!

1 and 2 seem to have really shollow DOF. 1 even looks like it is out of focus? could be me?

I think you covered it all.. Maybe in a few you could have soften her skin to give that perfect look! Some want that some dont

do u have the camera choosing where to focus or have u set it to a specific spot?

I Usually set it where I want the focus to be, not sure if that's what you're asking or not...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back