Kayaking Photography

I picked up a kayak earlier this year and I have been out in it maybe 10 or so times with my 500 f4 and d800 as well. I use a sealline zip duffle. the bag is large enough to hold the d800 with 500mm attached with hood reverse, its a rather large and expensive dry bag, but because it a waterproof zip duffle bag its pretty quick and easy to get my camera in and out of. the bag is about $150 but is even more waterproof then the foldable dry bags, and submergible for like 30 minutes at 10 meter or something. of course my gear is also insured for the total retail amount of it, so im never too worried about bringing expensive gear out on calm water. also if it gets rough like in the ocean I took one time, my stuff just stayed in the bag the whole time.

kayak photography is nice, but it can be hard, I just handhold my 500 in my 9.5" kayak and it works fine, as long as I can get the kayak in the right spot and not drift too much with current. I usually use a beach towel in the bottom of the dry bag for cushion of the lens, but also to wrap up the camera and lens, when I paddle with the equipment out of the dry bag, so I don't get water drops from the paddle on it. having a wide fishing kayak also helps, I feel stable and in calm water really have to try to make it unstable.

also I just took up fishing and its insanely fun to fight a 10lb striper on a river with a kayak.

When Kayaking I take a Fuji XP p&s: waterproof-shockproof-drop proof. Not high quality large sensor gallery imaging but nice enough to document the memories. One day I might get a GoPro and mount it on my whitewater boat.

Not really into the extreme that some folks get up to, my boats are an Eskimo Kendo and a Current Designs Breeze. I like the Kendo for playing in the surf and rolling around in. The Breeze is fun for down river trips (Restigouche) and exploring the smaller bays of New Brunswick. I can do a 2-3 day trip in it if I'm careful and frugal with what I bring, mostly ultralight/minimalist stuff from my solo backpacking days.

Wow, you got 2, 3 & 4 with an o.g. 5D? I'll have to check into those on amazon and fleabay, those shots look amazing
Thanks, yeah got it used, great camera!

I picked up a kayak earlier this year and I have been out in it maybe 10 or so times with my 500 f4 and d800 as well. I use a sealline zip duffle. the bag is large enough to hold the d800 with 500mm attached with hood reverse, its a rather large and expensive dry bag, but because it a waterproof zip duffle bag its pretty quick and easy to get my camera in and out of. the bag is about $150 but is even more waterproof then the foldable dry bags, and submergible for like 30 minutes at 10 meter or something. of course my gear is also insured for the total retail amount of it, so im never too worried about bringing expensive gear out on calm water. also if it gets rough like in the ocean I took one time, my stuff just stayed in the bag the whole time.

kayak photography is nice, but it can be hard, I just handhold my 500 in my 9.5" kayak and it works fine, as long as I can get the kayak in the right spot and not drift too much with current. I usually use a beach towel in the bottom of the dry bag for cushion of the lens, but also to wrap up the camera and lens, when I paddle with the equipment out of the dry bag, so I don't get water drops from the paddle on it. having a wide fishing kayak also helps, I feel stable and in calm water really have to try to make it unstable.

also I just took up fishing and its insanely fun to fight a 10lb striper on a river with a kayak.
Thanks for the bag info!!

Nice set. I got a kayak last year to use on some of the ponds around here. This is the setup I use.

$kayaking setup.jpg

this is from one trip
$eaglet.jpg

That first shot makes me want to burn down my office building and get my fishing rods. Nice work!

I would say I agree but I work for the EPA, I dont need that kinda of heat on me. :)

Lol, I work for the company that runs this forum! I guess my bosses don't surf TPF that much. :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back