Keep a monitor calibrated?

So since I plan on getting a printer in a couple of years, would it be worth it to spend the extra money now to get a spectrophotometer over a colorimeter?

Only you can answer that. How soon will you get the printer? If you buy the colorimeter now and the spectrophotometer replaces it later will the money lost on the colorimeter hurt or could you sell it or gift it? All we can do is tell you what tool does what job. You have to decide when you need them.

Joe

gryphonslair99 and Ysarex you both have very good points.

I don't actually have an idea about when I'll be able to get the quality of printer I want, I just know it'll at least be a couple of years. And with the acceleration of advancement of technology, I wouldn't be surprised if real good consumer calibration devices in the near future are as good as high end devices today. Who knows, I might even be using a different OS for photography at that time.

So I think I'll go with a good affordable colorimeter. And it sounds like the X-Rite ColorMunki is a great choice from what I'm seeing here.

So I've been looking the last couple of days at colorimeters, Amazon has the X-Rite ColoMunki Display with their ColoChecker Passport for $199. The video I just watched showed how it works with portrait photography, I do outdoor and landscape. I plan on getting a Nikon D750, or similar, in the next couple of years. Would I be able to make this work for me or would this not help much at all.? Or would it be too much of a hassle to use with landscape photography?
Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Display and ColorChecker Passport Bundle - Black (CMUNDISCCPP) : Camera And Video Accessory Bundles : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I've been looking the last couple of days at colorimeters, Amazon has the X-Rite ColoMunki Display with their ColoChecker Passport for $199. The video I just watched showed how it works with portrait photography, I do outdoor and landscape. I plan on getting a Nikon D750, or similar, in the next couple of years. Would I be able to make this work for me or would this not help much at all.? Or would it be too much of a hassle to use with landscape photography?
Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Display and ColorChecker Passport Bundle - Black (CMUNDISCCPP) : Camera And Video Accessory Bundles : Camera & Photo

There's no difference in display calibration for portrait versus landscape photography -- you calibrate the display the same way for both. Right now you need the colorimeter. You don't necessarily need the ColorChecker Passport. That's a different tool for a different purpose. They're being bundled for a price advantage but it's only an advantage if you want the CC passport.

If you are on a budget and right now want only a colorimeter to get you started with the option that when you buy a printer you will want a spectrophotometer then you may do well to purchase a less expensive colorimeter: Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Smile (CMUNSML) : Computer Mice : Camera & Photo

The X-Rite Smile will do the job for now and the initial cost makes replacing it in the future feel a lot better.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Excellent, thank you all for your advice. I hope this thread is as helpful to others as it was for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back