Keep My 50D or "Upgrade"?

Also, I'm sure you can squeeze a little more than $500 for the body. Try to get at least $100-$150 more for it. Post it on Amazon, and just keep it on craigslist. If you'd like to upgrade go for a 7D, or even a used 5D mk1. You can get the 7D used for around a grand, in good condition. And a used 5d mk1 for around $800. Those would be a decent slide up the scale for you. Steer clear from the Rebel line unless shooting pics is something you do for fun.

I skimmed this real quick so I could reply.. and what I caught was, your options are 50D for a t3i? NO! Unless video was something you mostly do, and I also caught its not, correct? I have a 50D with around the same shutter count as you. 50D is a great cam, its durable magnesium alloy body is a tank. The Rebel line is for beginners who shoot pictures of their families at theme parks. 50D shoots much faster, the build is better, focuses quickly with good focus points - its an all around better camera. This might even help you - Canon T3i vs 50D - Our Analysis

To me that report is rather strange, IMO 3 of the most important factors are won by the T3i although it lost the total count. The t3i has better color depth, better image quality, higher resolution, more dynamic range, and lower noise at high ISO. I don't know about you, but those are pretty friggin huge factors when it comes to a camera. The only big factors the 50d wins is it shoots faster (are you shooting alot of sports? If not who cares) and it has a pentaprism, and more cross type focus points.

I don't get snapsort sometimes, to me if I'm reading that article the clear winner is t3i, after all when it comes down to it, the image quality is what I'm most concerned with.

I skimmed this real quick so I could reply.. and what I caught was, your options are 50D for a t3i? NO! Unless video was something you mostly do, and I also caught its not, correct? I have a 50D with around the same shutter count as you. 50D is a great cam, its durable magnesium alloy body is a tank. The Rebel line is for beginners who shoot pictures of their families at theme parks. 50D shoots much faster, the build is better, focuses quickly with good focus points - its an all around better camera. This might even help you - Canon T3i vs 50D - Our Analysis

To me that report is rather strange, IMO 3 of the most important factors are won by the T3i although it lost the total count. The t3i has better color depth, better image quality, higher resolution, more dynamic range, and lower noise at high ISO. I don't know about you, but those are pretty friggin huge factors when it comes to a camera. The only big factors the 50d wins is it shoots faster (are you shooting alot of sports? If not who cares) and it has a pentaprism, and more cross type focus points.

I don't get snapsort sometimes, to me if I'm reading that article the clear winner is t3i, after all when it comes down to it, the image quality is what I'm most concerned with.

The color depth of the t3i is better by 0.7 bits. The dynamic range is better by 0.1 bit - basically unnoticeable. The 50D shoots almost twice as fast, and has 9 points compared to 1, and is made of magnesium alloy compared to hollow plastic. If you're planning on doing a paid/pro shoot with your t3i you better think again. The 50D is on that line between the midrange and the high range of SLRs. Again, this all depends what he's planning on doing with his camera.. if its just for fun - sure get the t3i, but if he wants to make some money doing good shoots, stick with the 50D.

^^ :lol: haha!

Agreed.. if someone forced a Rebel series on me I'd sell it and use the money for glass or accessories :thumbup:

I joke about these cameras, don't get me wrong.. they do produce good quality images. But I would never use one in a pro/paid shoot.

Most reactions

Back