Keeping babies from falling over when shooting...

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I look at tons of baby photos online, and wonder how on earth they got that shot without the baby falling over. The baby will be sitting in a little bowl, or a basket, etc. I can't get my baby (2 1/2 months) to do any of that. By the time my wife moves her hand away from him he is falling over!

I'm wondering if some of these shots these pros are doing involve someone propping the baby up with an arm, and then photoshopping the arm out afterwards. Does anyone know if this is a common thing that takes place in baby photography?

If it is, I'm guessing I'd need to use a tripod, take a shot with just the baby, even if it is falling over, and then take one with the arm holding the baby up (without moving the tripod)?

Never done wee babies yet, but do recall seeing somewhere a long time ago that one way to prop up babies is to have the mother under a blanket or sheet, behind the infant.

You just need to be fast. I just took a pic of my newborn with hands under his chin. You've seen the pose. I took test shots, had my husband help hold him in position and then shoot on about 50 pictures until I got one or two that worked. It turned out so cute, totally worth the time.

And yes, I used a bobby and I have a small travel pillow that I use. Also, have receiving blankets you can roll.

I'm sorry let me rephrase. My baby was on a soft bean bag. But yes, you can still do these shots if you have them propped correctly and a helper. (Spotter)

Most pros that shoot babies use a lot of composites.... like Bossy stated! A "cute" photo is never worth risking an injury to a baby... although a lot people take that chance, because they don't know any better! And yes.. there are babies that get injured from it, too!

Last edited:
I look at tons of baby photos online, and wonder how on earth they got that shot without the baby falling over. The baby will be sitting in a little bowl, or a basket, etc. I can't get my baby (2 1/2 months) to do any of that. By the time my wife moves her hand away from him he is falling over!

I'm wondering if some of these shots these pros are doing involve someone propping the baby up with an arm, and then photoshopping the arm out afterwards. Does anyone know if this is a common thing that takes place in baby photography?

If it is, I'm guessing I'd need to use a tripod, take a shot with just the baby, even if it is falling over, and then take one with the arm holding the baby up (without moving the tripod)?

Really? I seriously hope you are joking... or have really good liability insurance.. or that it is YOUR baby you are putting at risk!

Last edited:

Really? I seriously hope you joking... or have really good liability insurance.. or that it is YOUR baby you are putting at risk!

Sorry... that sounds bad. He was on our massive king-sized bed (in the middle of it) with a giant down comforter on it, and he was just rolling over onto his side. But we were trying to keep him on his tummy with his arms underneath his chin.

The milestone for sitting up is around 3 months. The shots of kids sitting in baskets/boxes are usually at the 3-4mo range, and Mom, Dad, Grandma, etc., is always sitting at arms length immediately out of the frame. Mom has one job. Watch baby.

Pillows, padding, blankets, etc., are used to prop the kid up in many cases and to cushion surrounding areas.

WhiskeyTango said:
The milestone for sitting up is around 3 months.

They can sit up assisted around three months but they start sitting on their own around six months. From there its a whole different ball game because the babies have no interest in sleeping through a shoot much less looking all cute for ya.

I use boppy pillows and bouncey seats with the backdrops draped over them. They also sell infant wedges that are meant to go in the crib for babies with reflux but they work wonders in photos too. You gotta get creative but, like was said early, safety first.

duct-tape.jpg

I just saw the duct tape joke, but literally, when mine were wee, the photographer used duct tape.

Not on the kids' skin, mind you, but a little on the back and a little on the bottom.

Worked wonders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back