Keeping camera dry

I use a dry bag for rain, but a lot of times I use the dicapac waterproof case which is super secure and you can even use it underwater. It can be a bit of a PITA though.

I am going to be on a boat for my son's rehearsal dinner in Maui and we will be going for the sunset so do not want to miss that but they told me to be prepared for water spray, so I need to be prepared.
I would use the dicapac for this situation.

Practice before. You will need to get your settings the way you want them bc it's hard to change them once it's sealed up....though doable. I usually use the center point focus when using it, and my 35 or 50.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks will do!

I have this one, it's more like rain protection (and I hate it) ... what you really want is standard protective UV filter because you don't want to salty water sprayed your front element on lens

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this one, it's more like rain protection (and I hate it) ... what you really want is standard protective UV filter because you don't want to salty water sprayed your front element on lens

Yes I agree I think I need a filter also

It's really the spray on the front element that will ruin your day. Wiping it off usually results in smears and/or streaks. Get several small microfibre towels--not the teensy ones used for cleaning eyeglasses. Unless you're steadily drenched, your camera will likely only need occasional drying off with hand towels. Rain covers are really awkward if you're trying to shoot hand-held. If things are that wet, maybe get a small, digital water-proof p&s.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntz
It's really the spray on the front element that will ruin your day. Wiping it off usually results in smears and/or streaks. Get several small microfibre towels--not the teensy ones used for cleaning eyeglasses. Unless you're steadily drenched, your camera will likely only need occasional drying off with hand towels. Rain covers are really awkward if you're trying to shoot hand-held. If things are that wet, maybe get a small, water-proof p&s.

haha, they are awkward even while shooting in rain (but still better than nothing, I've used it handheld and from tripod, it's annoyance but it works somehow ... it works better with telephoto lens rather than with short lens) .. in rain (and hot weather) the cover will fog up from inside so you still need a camera with weather sealing anyway ...

but basically I'd come with this rain cover + UV filter for front element .. it should be pretty much enough and re-usable under different conditions

Last edited:
I am in need of some suggestions on keeping my camera dry while on a boat. Is there any products I can use for this or what have others done to keep their camera dry. Thanks

Aquatech covers.

I use a dry bag for rain, but a lot of times I use the dicapac waterproof case which is super secure and you can even use it underwater. It can be a bit of a PITA though.

I am going to be on a boat for my son's rehearsal dinner in Maui and we will be going for the sunset so do not want to miss that but they told me to be prepared for water spray, so I need to be prepared.

It is a dinner cruise, so I would not expect rough water.
But it is the ocean.

I would take two routes
#1 - A cover for your dSLR.
Caution, I've used some of the camera raincoats, and while they work, taking them off the camera and not letting the water on the cover drain/drip onto the camera can be tricky.
Make sure you wipe down your camera and filter when you get back to the hotel, to get as much of the salt off the camera and lens. Then let it air dry.
#2 - A waterproof camera.
If they say "be prepared for water spray," I would be concerned. It may just be light spray, or it could be more. It is the ocean, and subject to somewhat unpredictable weather.

I would bring a waterproof P&S, and if the conditions are bad, bring it out. Otherwise, if conditions are good, use your dSLR.

It may just be light spray, or it could be more. It is the ocean, and subject to somewhat unpredictable weather.

While I have two weather sealed cameras and have no problem taking them out in light rain, sea spray is an entirely different situation. That's when I would take my old 30D or 50D and an older lens Hopefully it survives but not a big loss. This is actually one of the reasons why I think people should keep older gear.

And you're right, the ocean is unpredictable.

It is a dinner cruise, so I would not expect rough water.
But it is the ocean.

I would take two routes
#1 - A cover for your dSLR.
Caution, I've used some of the camera raincoats, and while they work, taking them off the camera and not letting the water on the cover drain/drip onto the camera can be tricky.
Make sure you wipe down your camera and filter when you get back to the hotel, to get as much of the salt off the camera and lens. Then let it air dry.
#2 - A waterproof camera.
If they say "be prepared for water spray," I would be concerned. It may just be light spray, or it could be more. It is the ocean, and subject to somewhat unpredictable weather.

I would bring a waterproof P&S, and if the conditions are bad, bring it out. Otherwise, if conditions are good, use your dSLR.

Thanks for your input I am planning on just trying to be prepared and not matter what will definitely be cleaning my camera after we get back. I guess it will all depend on the weather!

So much words in this thread ... just to make an summary, I just suggest to grab this or similar (it's just standard trusted camera rain cover what many photographers use - however as I said I hate to use it .. but it works fine) + traditional UV filter to protect your front element against salty water water spray (don't buy a cheap one for ~$20, best is if you have a magnetic cilcular filter set with ND, CPL and this protective UV filter)

Package it with a plastic bag.

Thanks everyone for your help after all my worrying, the wedding was canceled because of the number of people allowed to gather because of Covid. But I am now prepared for any other water issues with my camera. Thanks again!

Reactions: ntz

Most reactions

Back