Keeping out the light.

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been processing a lot of film lately but I don't have a darkroom. Instead I use a "changing bag," i.e., late at night I turn off all the lights and then crawl into my sleeping bag backwards with my feel sticking out the top. It works for loading reels into my tank, but for making prints I need a darkroom. It appears I need to use my shop for a darkroom but there are a lot of problems with doing that. Among these is the fact that I have four computers along the far wall and the monitors glow for quite a while after they have been turned off. Also, one of the computers has a light in the back which continues to glow quite brightly after it has been turned off, even if I pull the plug. I have no idea why. There's also a window along one wall.

I'm thinking that a solution to this is to hang a curtain in front of the computers. After turning off the computers I can draw the curtain in front of them. My problem is that I cannot find a cloth in the cloth shops that is truly opaque. Even the black cloths pass light.

So what kind of cloth do they make changing bags out of and where can I get a big sheet of it?

Changing bags are nylon and you will need 2 layers to be light tight. Any material or sewing shop should have it in black, make sure it is heavy enough but not too heavy. Good luck!

you might consider some black plastic sheeting, the heavy duty type. it comes in large sheets.

I had a student at one time who build his whole darkroom this way, created
"walls" using the sheeting.

you might consider some black plastic sheeting, the heavy duty type. it comes in large sheets.

I had a student at one time who build his whole darkroom this way, created
"walls" using the sheeting.
Could you be more precise as to what you mean by "black plastic sheeting?" Is this something you would get at a lumber yard?

try HOme depot or Lowes for black sheeting. garbage bags may be too thin.

the fabic from freestyle is nice, but the cost will not be cheap at 9 dollars a yard, will all depend on just how much you will need.

Most reactions

Back