keeping tokina 11-16 w/ ff?

slow231

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
i loved this lens on my d7000, but finally made the leap to ff. I know the tokina fx 16-28 is a good performer that is pretty reasonably priced (especially if offset by selling the 11-16), but it's huge, and space in my camera bag is already tight with a medium sized UWA (plus the 24-70, 70-200 vrii, 100 macro, fast 50, flash, ...). I don't always shoot wide, but when i do it's usually pushed up against the wide limit of the lens, so the 16-28 would probably be most used at 16 anyways. I'm thinking about keeping the 11-16 and using it as a ~16mm prime (it will project a large enough image circle at ~15-16mm to fill the ff sensor). I know some people have mentioned soft corners on ff, but it's not an issue I have run into yet using it on my d600. there's also not much to be gained by selling the d7000 at this point, and it might be more worthwhile if i kept it around as a backup body in case i get back into shooting events. keeping the 11-16 would give me the added benefit of having a wide angle zoom with an equivalent range (on the crop) that butts up against the 24-70. thoughts on this?

couple of shots messing around with the 11-16 on the d600. there's so much perspective distortion at this wide of an angle that i'm really not too concerned with corner sharpness in any of these situations. I don't reacall how much these are cropped though...
i-ZFT98C2-XL.jpg

i-q5x8LTF-XL.jpg
(keep in mind this is @1/30 so there's some motion blur in the trees in the background)
i-4bjp4R3-XL.jpg

thanks! time is flying.

I considered the slower options, but i regularly use f2.8. i'm either shooting people, or urban x (dark + hand held) with the UWA. i really can't take the hit on speed.

i know i'm being a bit picky about the bag, but whether it's a gig, event, trip, project, whatever, it's nice to be able to have all my tools in one place.

I have kept my 116 lens that I still use on my D300s and now on my D700 @ 15/16 FF its the same as a prime and at f/2.8 whats not to love

cheers

I have kept my 116 lens that I still use on my D300s and now on my D700 @ 15/16 FF its the same as a prime and at f/2.8 whats not to love

cheers
thanks. you're basically in the same boat, and i'm going to do the same. keeping the crop as a 2nd body, the 11-16 pairs up well with my other lenses on ff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back