KEH tripod sale, is this worth us newer folks looking at?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
got an email from KEH on this Manfrotto tripod legs and head at what looks like a great price of $140 ish. (Manfrotto 294, alum, 3 section, 3 way head) ,Yes it is refurbished but I am ok with that.
i still need a tripod that will let me take portrait mode..?
i am looking at 2-3 ft slider (for time lapse) at some point and any help on tripod selection is appreciated.
thank you,
Nancy
http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Complete-Tripods/1/sku-TR414019004260?r=FE#

Nikon D7000, 11-16 Tokina , 55-300, 35 1.8 prime.

Everyone needs a tripod occasionally, even the new folks.

Portrait mode? If you mean tilting the camera 90° while it's on the tripod, that one should be able to do that. I find that I am rarely using a tripod for portraits though. But for just getting the camera into that position, this tripod will be fine.

Not sure what you mean by 2-3 foot slider for time lapse...

Am new at this but, while taking time lapse, the camera can move along a 'track' to show movement of the time lapse.
Maybe someone else can explain it better :{
Nancy

In the early '90s I invested in a heavy klunky manfrotto tripod with a head like that. It's lasting forever and still in regular use. I do many event portraits and young people. Steady ready platform is everything.

profound thinking about stuff

Almost sounds like a focusing rail...? But not used for focusing.

If I saw a picture (or drawing) of what you're talking about, I would probably get it... Right now I'm lost though.

Is that what you're talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the absolute minimum you want in a tripod is 2x the load capacity of anything you will put on it. For critical work 3-4x (i.e. long exposures/wind/high macro).
That tripod will be of some help, but it probably won't be up to very demanding use.

I don't think you'll want to put a 3ft slider on a single support. If you do it will need to be quite strong/stable since you will have the load way off-center. I wouldn't even consider it with that tripod.

I wouldn't even consider it with that tripod.
Yeah, I can't really see mounting something like that to a tripod... (Maybe with TWO tripods...)

The way it reads though, I don't think that is what you're trying to do though. You want a tripod, AND a slider (but not all in the same unit).

Now that I know what I'm looking for, B&H has quite a few:
Camera Sliders | B&H Photo Video

Manfrotto makes a great tripod; I love mine. If you haven't already done so, try to get to a camera store and check out styles of tripod heads. The kit you linked has a three-way head, rather than a ball head more commonly used for photo applications. There's nothing wrong with using a three-way head for photos, but it's more commonly used for video devices. You might find it's got adjustments, for instance, to help pan & tilt smoothly while filming. If you plan on shooting any videos, you'll probably like the three-way head a lot, but if not, take a look at a ball head and see if it wouldn't be a little quicker to adjust for photos.

LambertPix, I would LOVE to find a photo store!! I am definitely someone who needs the guidance. I bought my D7000 from a camera store because I wanted to go back when I needed help. Alas, we moved from there..

I have a cheap Sunpak right now with a ball head and grip handle. Supposedly, to 'pan'..? But When I want to try 3 photos to make a panorama, it does not move smoothly and my horizon gets changed slightly.

So I need smooth movement, a portrait angle (not for portrait of people), and something to take some amateur videos, and time lapse on a slider.
Any help appreciated,
Nancy

Most reactions

Back