KEH...UG?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone ever bought a lens from KEH labeled "UG"? I am looking at the Sigma 400mm F/5.6 APO and they currently have one for a good price..but its labeled UG.

Thanks.
Mark

I have had students buy at that level and sometimes it was hard to figure out why it was labeled as such. They are usually very straight forward with the description; i.e. some brassing but glass is clean , that is what you can expect.

The UG states that there will be some imperfections with the glass. This is what I was worried about. I didnt know how bad this would be and if it would be worth it forking out the money for the lens..or holding out another $400 for the Nikon 300mm F/4 and Kenko 1.4x TC.

Mark

do they indicated which part of the glass, front end, back end. That can make a difference. If it was the front I wouldn't worry too much, the back side, I would pass.

Of course they have a nice warranty so if after testing you found it an issue, return it; I once returned something and they didn't have the same level lens so they just replaced it with the next level going UP, not down.

Interesting. I think I might give it a go. And no..it doesnt state which it is..the general statement for UG is that it has imperfections on the glass.

Thanks.
Id still love to hear some more experiences as well.
Mark

I've only ordered one lens from KEH, and it turned out to be in better condition than they had it listed. When I first opened the package I really thought they had shipped a brand new lens by mistake. If the price is good enough, and they offer a warranty or return it may be worth the risk.

(wow I've been lurking on this forum for a couple years I just realized I've never made a single post untill today)

I bought a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 one-ring AF zoom a few years ago that had a dime-sized impact crater, and a few smaller pock marks on the front element...I payed $275 for the lens because of the big rock-ding, which apparently came from a motocross event where a motorcycle threw a rock and it hit the front element. It shot quite well, so don;t let some glass imperfections on the FRONT element scare you away. The rear element however, must not be damaged! You can lick and stick a postage stamp on a front element and have it not affect things too badly...but if the rear element is messed up, it really,really can kill the optical performance.

I will contact KEH and see if they can give me some information on the lens. With such an extensive inventory, however, I doubt they can.

Mark

Well I emailed KEH and I got a response that said the UG lenses are not intended to be used as lenses..only for parts and "tinkering with". Now I dont know what to do again. She, too, told me about the warrenty and that I could send it back for a refund, however.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back