Kelvin

grooski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've red something out of a book that said something with kelvin. I know that kelvin is a scientific type of tempurture things (like celcies or whatever) and i read that if the tempureture is more then like 3200 then your photography comes out as a blue tone and if its below than an orange cast. I dont really understand what the temperture has to do with taking a photograph.

Light is measured in temperature.

Tungsten 100watt bulb is 2600k

Photoflood is 3400K

Flash is 4000K

and sunlight which general film is balanced to is 5000K

This is why you get a yellow hue under Tungsten lighting

green under fluorescent

and you get proper whites with flash and sunlight.

Take a photo in your home without a flash and using your interior lighting and it will be very yellow.

Not sure if this helps or not :?

Eric

Kelvin is the standard unit for temperature. Absolute zero that scientist ever known is 0k. Freezing point is 273.14k.... I forgot but should be there. So at boiling pt, it will be 373.14k.

The balance of colors in light is measured as color temp on the Kelvin scale.

Imagine a bar of steel in a forge for example. When the bar is at 2000 degrees, it will be dark red, as it gets higher in temp it begins to get brighter going from red, to orange, to yellow, to white, and then even to blue-white up past 6000 degrees.

The green (or pink, or other colors) from fluorescent bulbs comes from the glowing gases used in the bulb.

Electric flash has a higher color temp than the sun, so it tends to be a bluish-white light, which can be corrected by using a warming filter or a gold reflector. As stated in an above post, the sun is at 5000. Most electric flashes are approx 6000 degrees color temp.

Skylight without direct sun can have a very high color temp (up to 10000+).

A candle is approx 1900

Flash bulbs if any one is using them are approx 4000 degrees color temp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back