Kid portraits... C&C paleeease!

Nein-reis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first actual try at doing kid (or any kind) portraits, and kids really really realy arn't easy. :confused:

Let me know what you honestly think. Be harsh if you want, but let me know what I need to do to be better not just whats wrong. Thanks for looking.

10-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

2-4.jpg

3-4.jpg

1-4.jpg

4-4.jpg

Sorry if these are a little big...

The girl in the first couple of photos never makes contact. It is a pity!
I begin to like Photos 5 and 6 because your young modela there ENGAGE us with their smiles, they look not only at the camera, but subsequently also at us, the viewers, and that is much appreciated.

If the girl had looked in Photo 2, which shows what beautiful colour eyes she has, I would clearly say: that one's the winner.

I do like the location! Nicely shaded light that does not creat the dreaded shadows, and a cool background colour (of course :greenpbl: ) :biggrin: !!!

The one thing that caught my eye immediately is that there has to be some way to tame those stray hairs on the girl. The image sensor picks up a lot of detail on your camera, so we end up seeing every little stray hair up close, which can be a distraction. I know its not her fault, but the photog must be aware of little details like this.

Also, I agree with Corinna about having the girl look at the camera. That would have helped so much. But she did a nice job. I especially like her expression in #1.

Regarding the boys' portraits, #5 is easily my favorite. The sharpness, focus, and bright color is spectacular! However, one minor thing, there is a touch of blowout on the side of their faces, especially in the smaller boy. Something to block the harsh sunlight would have helped in this case.

Overall, I think you did a very nice job for first try. :D Keep working on the finer points. I don't claim to be an expert. Its just what I notice. And the things I mentioned here are what I would want out of my portraits as well.

NJ

Thanks guys, I had a really hard time with those little strands of hair. I would fix most of them and by the time I was back to my camera, they would be back. *frustrating* I really wish the blown out areas were not there in #5 because it was a difficult photo to get them to do. And the smaller boy was by far the hardest to deal with.

I'm by no means an expert so this is just my 2 cents. Overall I think you did a great job for your first time doing portraits, and kids at that. The only thing that bugs me is the girl not looking at the camera. 6 is my favorite. Great job!

I agree with the others regarding the girl not looking into the camera, but still good work for a first-timer. Keep practicing!

I do like in the first two that you have the eyes in first third of the picture, or thereabout and that's usually what I aim to do. I would also recommend that you play with shooting at different angle with each shot and take as many as you can. Sometimes the slightest difference in where you move can make a huge difference- I see this especially in # 2 & 3.

I'd also like to add that you have some very nice equipment that you are using and you have not begun to SEE what it can really do for your pictures. Keep it up!

Thanks guys... stellar_gal, thanks for the great advice!

The second picture of the young lady is very nice. You did great with finding were the light hits her eyes. She has such beautiful eyes! With the other children, I feel like you are trying to go for "candid", which is nice, but eye contact is important. Due to that thought I like the last pic. His facial expression still has the "candid" feel, yet there is more structure. Good combination.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back