Kids With Cameras

Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently watched the documentary Born into Brothels, which came out a number of years ago. It documents a woman, Zana Briski, who went to India for photography. She lived in the red light district in order to photograph the life of the prostitutes who lived there and fell in love with the children. She taught the kids how to take pictures, and then raised money with their own photographs so they could go to school. She founded Kids With Cameras, an organization that teaches kids photography and helps them go to school, and the documentary is specifically about her work with one class of kids in Calcutta. As of now, there are other places that Kids With Cameras works, and you can find the links below. When you visit the site, there are bios on the individual kids and also each child has his or her own gallery where you can see some of the pictures s/he took. I think it is definately worth a look, and while the photos are not compositionally or photographically perfect, they really portray the life in India. (and the other places aswell.) Please take a look, or better yet, watch the documentary, it is VERY good.

Calcutta
Haiti
Jerusalem
Cairo

Stunning Documentary that I would suggest that everyone who can sees it. Saw it shortly after it came out, was an astounding film and very inspiring. They did something like that in Regent Park (Urban Housing Project) in Toronto a few years ago and I was very impressed with the work they did. See it if you can.

That's really cool, I love documentaries. I wonder if there are any more photography documentaries you guys suggest to watch.

If anyone has the Sundance channel, this entire month they are running documentaries on different photographers.
Tierny Gearon
Henri Cartier-bresson
William Eggleston
Peter Beard and a couple more to come.

Most reactions

Back