Kinda wishing I hadnt gone for the XTi now...

I kinda wish I had waited and gotten a 40D instead....... and gotten a more "pro" camera.
Ok, pitty party over. :)

So let me get this straight. You are bummed out with the XTi because it isn't "pro" enough???
Sarah, you are missing the point of photography.

So let me get this straight. You are bummed out with the XTi because it isn't "pro" enough???
Sarah, you are missing the point of photography.

Let me re-state that for you. I preferred the feel of the 40D. I know that my XTi is "pro" enough or whatever at this point. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I KNOW that the camera does NOT make the photographer. I know that getting a better camera will NOT make me or anyone else a better photography. I am in no way saying that I am a pro, or anywhere CLOSE to pro. All I am saying is that I do wish I had shopped around a bit more, and had actually laid my hands on some of these cameras before I made my choice. I like the better quality/feel/make of the higher end ones that I have played with. I liked the controls better. That kind of stuff. :wink:

I just purchased my first dslr, a 30d. I know I prob peeved off the bestbuy/circuit city guys a ton, because of so much time I spent playing around with their displays. Hopefully the research will pay off. (It should arive tomorrow from BH)

I know how buyers remorse goes though. I bought a S3IS to get me into photography, and after a month of using it and a friends SLR, I knew I messed up by not saving just a little more. But the experience with the S3 was priceless, still got some good shots, and it just made me more informed of what I was looking for this time around. So buyers remorse isnt the worst thing out there.

Look at it this way... you at least have a DSLR. I have been "practicing" with my EOS 3000 and a kodak easyshare! :D Not that either one are bad cameras... I'm sure that in more capable hands they'd be much better :)

My point is that no matter what you have you'll always want something better... it's the old saying about the grass always being greener... ya know? Plus it's human nature to want to improve... just make sure your skill level improves with your equipment, just like you eluded to in your posts.

My thinking for myself is I'm not going to buy anything else until I find that I'm limited by what I already own.. the only thing that I'm finding limiting me at this point in time is the fact that I can't go "snap happy" with my film camera.. the camera itself is still perfect for what my skill level is. My digital P&S camera is limiting me though just by the simple fact that it doesn't have the flexibility that I want.

If only I could somehow combine the two cameras and keep the traits from each that I want I'd be happy... that's why I'm wanting a DSLR. :D

ttfn
CDL.

-------------

Last edited:
That's one of the things I try to avoid doing. If I buy something I TRY not to look at or touch other things similar to it.

But I do know what you mean. I was able to compare the XTi side by side with the 40D. I actually held the 40D first and played with it a lil, then I went to the XTi and knew right away that I didn't want it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and as others have said, spend your money on some nice lenses so that when you do want to upgrade, you'll already have all that taken care of.

-------------

Last edited:
I hated my sisters XTI when she first got it. I thought it was a awful camera. The only thing I did like about it was how small and light it was. Now that she has bought better glass with IS, I love it!!! A great walk around camera. Think of it this way, invest in glass and when you feel you have out grown the camera buy a better body and you can keep the xti as your walk around camera and back up. I felt the same way when I purchased my A100. Now that I own the A700 I still use my a100 all the time! if your looking for a better feel I agree with big Mike get a grip they make the camera feel more durable and a bit more ("pro") feeling that you are wanting.

Let me re-state that for you. I preferred the feel of the 40D. I know that my XTi is "pro" enough or whatever at this point. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I KNOW that the camera does NOT make the photographer.

Ah.. fair enough..

But

You are doing yourself a disservice by getting all worked up on your choice. Focus on glass and (if you want) photography classes. Either will benefit you far more than an upgrade from the XTi to 40D.

Just remember.... you were perfectly happy with the XTi until you looked into the 40D. If your perceived "need" to upgrade is the result, then you are still focusing on the wrong part of photography.

These are your words:

It really was all I could afford anyway.. (therefore the XTi is still a better choice)

Ah.. fair enough..

But

You are doing yourself a disservice by getting all worked up on your choice. Focus on glass and (if you want) photography classes. Either will benefit you far more than an upgrade from the XTi to 40D.

Just remember.... you were perfectly happy with the XTi until you looked into the 40D. If your perceived "need" to upgrade is the result, then you are still focusing on the wrong part of photography.

These are your words:

It really was all I could afford anyway.. (therefore the XTi is still a better choice)

Very true! Thanks!

When I get to the point I think I have 'outgrown' this one, I will think about upgrading, but until then all I can do is learn and get better, right!!

I will be looking into getting some better lenses for now. :) :hugs:

Ahem....30D.

Ackhckchhkchemm....20D.

That's one of the things I try to avoid doing. If I buy something I TRY not to look at or touch other things similar to it.

But I do know what you mean. I was able to compare the XTi side by side with the 40D. I actually held the 40D first and played with it a lil, then I went to the XTi and knew right away that I didn't want it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and as others have said, spend your money on some nice lenses so that when you do want to upgrade, you'll already have all that taken care of.

I never 'hated' the feel of the XT/XTi until I held a XXD. That XTi will do much better than you think. Put your money towards nicer lenses, as others have said.

When I get to the point I think I have 'outgrown' this one, I will think about upgrading, but until then all I can do is learn and get better, right!!

I will be looking into getting some better lenses for now. :) :hugs:

Now thats the ticket.... don't over extend finances to get into something that really won't play a big part in your growth as a photographer.

You can look all you want but don't touch the merchandise unless you plan on purchasing...

btw... Do yourself a favor... NEVER touch a 1-series. You'll regret it... trust me ;-)

I bought my xt only for learning photography. The basics and everything I can about exposure. I am hoping to increase my lens collection before even thinking about buying a new body.

I am wanting to keep my xt as long as I can before upgrading to a new body. When I do it will be for a 5D Mark II if it ever comes out. But That wont be for a year or two after that has been on the market anyway and probably not until the xt has completely fallen apart.

You should just learn everything you can about photography on your xti before thinking about a new body.

-------------

Last edited:
Sarah - Just buy some better glass and you will be very happy with your current camera. When you are ready to upgrade your body you will already have the glass to go with it. :hugs:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back