Kiosk resolution?

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
since today the lines of traditional and digital photography are getting blurried I have a question.

First of all my dedicated 35mm film scanner is toast (my own fault im sure) but there is the problem. The flat bed I have will work fine for any artistic things I care to do on 35mm in black and white. But it won't do color since it isn't supposed to do negs at all.

So I am trying to decide do I want to replace the scanner with another dedicated one or just keep what I have and then have the very few rolls of color I do scanned at the store.

What do I really want in a scanned image. Well it doesn't have to be a great resolution probably 4mega pix would be fine.. that about 2400 dpi i think. So the question is?

What is the resolution of a cd made on a store digital kiosk. yes I'm told you can feed your roll of film in and make your own cd. I suppose that is true though I don't have a lot of faith in the clerk who explained that to me. So if it is possible what is the resolution. And how many rolls will it let me feed per cd. If any of you know please let me know so I can make a decission as to whether I want to invest in another scanner for the very few rolls of color I do.

I've never seen a film scanning kiosk :scratch: I suppose it's possible though. Some have flatbed scanners to scan prints.

I know you can have your digital files from cards etc. put onto a CD quite easily at a kiosk.

It was my thinking to. I asked the clerk several times if she was sure. She said sir I do this all the time. Snippy little twit.

There was a film sized opening.

She said, "When our film processer is working, I can process for film for a couple of bucks, you can bring it over here and run it through the kiosk for $2.82. I know I can have a Cd made at eckerds for about the same price with a resolution of about 1500 x1200 which is what my flatbed does but it isn't really for film or slides I just do it anyway.

I was hoping the kiosk would allow for higher resolution but the clerk didn't have any idea what resolution meant let alone what the kiosk scanned the film at. If indeed it will do that.

I just found this on the google after trying for half an hour but it seems a bit shakey to me,,

For now I don't make anything larger than 8x10 so it would work but I hate the idea of having my negs distroyed. Maybe that is why they said to develop them first wet process then run the negs throught he kiosk if that is possible it would solve my problem.

Cheap camera, cheap lenses, with negatives for the larger prints. and a cd for proofing. Sounds like a win win. If I can use the real negativesand not have it distroy them.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200211/ai_ziff31971

When I first started devoloping film that's what I would do is have them put it on a cd... I didn't request any high quality images (I'm not sure that they would or know how anyways) the files were 1818 x 1228 or just over 2.2 mp. Each file was approxamately 1MB file so I could put just about 800 pics one cd. So at 36 pics per roll you could probably get about 22 rolls on one cd (that's if you had them done at 1818 x 1228 file size of course). I just got a scanner (really cheap) and so far I have been better luck with the Kiosk (granted it's Wallmark that I have been using:blushing:). I know that home scanners (if you get one over $200) will more than likely get better quality scans than a Kiosk (I have heard of people getting 35+mp out of a 35mm scanner at 300dpi). I hope this helps.

thanks so you are saying the max resolution you can choose at the kiosk is 1800 by 1200 or did you actually scan your own at the kiosk or have the lab do it on a scanner behind the counter. Im just curious. The size you mention is enough for an 8x10 if you dont have to do any cropping. or even if you did a little. If I had something I wanted to go larger with I would probably use the negative.

mysteryscribe said:
thanks so you are saying the max resolution you can choose at the kiosk is 1800 by 1200 or did you actually scan your own at the kiosk or have the lab do it on a scanner behind the counter. Im just curious.

I had them scan them... I have not asked if they can get bigger scans. I'm asuming that they could/can. I have a $100.00 HP (4000 something) that has a place for slides and negatives. I have been able to get a 7000 x 5000 out of it, but.... it was really slow and the image quality was lacking somewhat. I could have though easily downed the file to say 3500 x 2500 without much effort, I'm thinking in which would make it a sharper image.

Maybe the answer is to get a new flatbed scanner. I've discussed my Epson 2450 photo scanner before. It can scan 35mm up to 4800 dpi (that's a pretty big file) and it works really well. It is slow but you said you don't do that much color. I assume the 2450 is an old model and it has been replaced by something newer. I just haven't had any need or motivation to upgrade mine since it works so well. It can scan opaque things as well such as prints or letters. There is a padded white thing that attaches to the lid for opaque things. You just remove it for translucent things like film. It includes film holders for everything up to 4X5.

yeah there is a lot of new things since that old piece of camel dung was made. I just don't know if I would even make enough scans to justify buying even a fifty dollar one. The little canon i have is new so it should work find for a while longer.

Truth is my canon does the black and whites just peachy keen. I have no iterest in doing med format or 4x5 color negs so that leaves me with what to do about the 35... Do I buy a scanner to do mayber three rolls a year or just let someone else deal with the dust and storage of another scanner. At the moment I'm leaning to letting someone else deal with it. I would like to do a little editing on the files so I guess I'll just have the lab scan them at whatever thay do at the highest resolution. If the kiosk does more I'll probably use them since the cost is the same. 4 megapix if I shoot it tight will do an 11x14 just fine. I grew up composing in the viewfinder so I shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

Still I do love gadgets. I will probably agonize a while longer then buy a dedicated scanner of somekind.

[URL="http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/member.php?u=7525" said:
mysteryscribe[/URL] vbmenu_register("postmenu_602385", true); ]Do I buy a scanner to do mayber three rolls a year or just let someone else deal with the dust and storage of another scanner

I would have them do it (although they don't sound like they are really knowledgeable.) If they do it for $2.82 then it would take a while (if you only do three or so rolls a year about 10 years) pay off a scanner... You might get a little less quality (I'll post you a couple of pictures of the difference when I get home), but for the price it would probably be better to have them do it. If you were doing a lot of neg or slide it would probably be better to spend the money on a scanner (or if you wanted bigger pictures).

yeah I keep trying to talk myself into that..... Also I pretty interseted in this new develop your film and distroy it. I might shoot a roll if I can find such a place just to see how the files look as opposed to ones from the negatives.

I bought a primascan flat bed that will do color and B%w up to 5x7 negs or slides plus prints.... It was too cheap to pass up. its 4800 x 2400 dpi with interpolation to the size of the universe I think. Which is worthless. It is color compatable with at least one of the third party softwares for scanning i think its silver scan. What is 4800 x 2400 dpi can somebody convert that to pixels on a 35 mm negative I cant. My old 1800 dpi scanner was about 3 mega pix so i figure it must be about 4 or better.

Well... the problem is... dpi and pixels don't really have a lot to do with each other... dpi is only for the printer it's self... where as pixels or for file size. For example, if you were to look really close to a billboard there might thousands of pixels per side but you could count the dots at maybe 10 per inch. Here's sight that I found on the issue... http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/dpi.php and http://www.design215.com/toolbox/print_guide.php I hope that helps.

Actually there is a relationship based on the size of the negative

for instance a 35mm negative at 1800 dpt is about 2400 pix by 1600 pix

the same neg at 2400 dpi will be about 2800 x 1800 just a guess.. there is a relationship but it is with the size of the negative not directly to the pixels count ...

At least thats how I understand it....

an 1800 dpi of a 4x5 negative is huge in pixel count

Most reactions

New Topics

Back