kiss

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
C&C welcome. I rarely get a chance to do portraits.
I probably could have shot at f/1.8 or f/2 instead of f/1.4, but I really wanted to lose the background. I don't think it hurts the photo too badly, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for looking.

072920122385-XL.jpg

D700 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 | SB-600 bounced

That is a very nice portrait, in many ways. I feel that there's a deeper story in here but don't want to intrude.

Shallow DoF is just fine, since all the important parts are helpfully nailed into a single plane. Luck? Skill? Who cares!

"Geezzzzz Mom, not here... there's someone watching!"

I think in this case, the moment that was captured outweighs the minor techincal imperfections.

I like this photo, and the moment. But as you yourself mentioned, it probably would have been better at f/2. How long have you been shooting FX? I usually keep my f/1.4s at f/2 or smaller just as a rule of thumb. Still, nice photo sleist.

Thanks for the comments. This is my daughter and my grandson. She asked me to take some shots and I thought this was one of the best - but I'm biased. ;)
The crop is a good suggestion. Wondering too about the skin tones. Was happy until I saw it through google chrome which pinked it up some. Color management voodoo.
I'm processing in sRGB, but on a wide gamut monitor (calibrated). Everything is sRGB and all aps match except chrome. I know chrome isn't color managed (in win7).
Don't know if it's chrome, or just chrome on my wide gamut. (please don't attempt to explain - I've read it all and it just exhausting ;) ) If chrome is all that's foobar then I don't care.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments!

Very sweet photo. I would crop it a bit tighter because it sort of looks like the mom is bald.

I like this photo, and the moment. But as you yourself mentioned, it probably would have been better at f/2. How long have you been shooting FX? I usually keep my f/1.4s at f/2 or smaller just as a rule of thumb. Still, nice photo sleist.

Not long - 2 months (1 month now that I think about it). I do usually keep it at f/2 or smaller. I had been shooting at f/4 but the wall was close and I wanted to lose it in the background blur. He's on a changing table right next to the wall. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very sweet photo. I would crop it a bit tighter because it sort of looks like the mom is bald.

That's funny. I thought the same thing. I might try that with Lew's suggestion on the 4x5 aspect crop. Thanks.

Here's a cropped version. Thanks again everyone. Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

072920122385CR-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back