Kit Lens Question (Canon 50D 28-135mm)

MikeBookPro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stillstories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm ordering a 50D this week. While I've owned a couple SLR's (digital and film) in the past, I never spent the time to learn how to use them, so it was snapshot central.

Anyway, there is a $200 difference between just ordering the body and ordering the 28-135mm kit lens. I am definitely ordering a Canon 50mm f/1.4 and a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 when I place my order. So, save the $200, or get the kit lens?

I will generally be shooting lifestyle-ish portraits and children.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Dont get the kit lens, specially if you plan on getting the 70-200.

You should be fine with the Tamron until you get the 70-200

The 28-135mm is a decent lens, great for walking around but if you are getting a 24-70mm F2.8, then the 28-135mm would probably be redundant.

You might find that 24mm or 28mm just isn't wide enough on a body like the 50D. I would personally prefer something that starts down around 17 or 18mm.

The EF 28-135mm isn't that wide on a crop body and some copies can have CA on the long end. Lens creep is another issue common with this lens. The EF-S 17-85mm might be a better choice. Or just buy the body and select the lenses that you want to use. I like the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM for portraits.

If the cost is only $200 different. I will get it.

The regular retail price for that lens in retail package (28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM) is about $400 at Amazon. And I sold 2 of those (came with camera) on local craiglist for $275 (3 month old at that time) and $300 (brand new)

For those who want to buy the lens can save at least $100. And you can use the extra $100 for the other lens such as the Tamron you mentioned or the 17-50mm F/2.8 Tamron.

But of course, if you do not want to deal with selling stuff, that is a different story.

If the cost is only $200 different. I will get it.

The regular retail price for that lens in retail package (28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM) is about $400 at Amazon. And I sold 2 of those (came with camera) on local craiglist for $275 (3 month old at that time) and $300 (brand new)

For those who want to buy the lens can save at least $100. And you can use the extra $100 for the other lens such as the Tamron you mentioned or the 17-50mm F/2.8 Tamron.

But of course, if you do not want to deal with selling stuff, that is a different story.

I had considered this. The range you talked about ($275-300) seems to be accurate from the few I've seen on my local CL.

Big Mike, what about getting something like this instead of the 28-75?

Sigma | 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens for Can | 669101 | B&H

Looks like that would add some macro capabilities to my arsenal. I'm concerned with the variable aperture, though.
I've heard that it's an OK lens, but not great. As for macro, it can only get 1:2.3 magnification, so in this case, I consider 'macro' to be a sales catch word rather than an actual specification.

I've got the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, it's a great lens. But I also have the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS. I bought the Tamron for the large max aperture but I love the range of the 17-85mm so I have kept it around.

Nice.

I had actually been thinking about buying a 50D with that lens, then selling the lens. It gets you the camera cheaper than just buying the body.

Nice.

I had actually been thinking about buying a 50D with that lens, then selling the lens. It gets you the camera cheaper than just buying the body.

Yes bigmike go get it hahaha , when I post the lens for $300, I got few local inquires. On ebay, they are usually $300+ (after shipping). So people who know about the lens and they retail price will buy it at $300 USD. (Not too sure about Canada though)

Most reactions

Back