Kit lens war.

AaronLLockhart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

It's been a really long time since I've been posted, but I hope to be a bit more active here on the board in the near future. I have changed my camera equipment around a pretty good bit. I have gotten rid of much of my equipment, and purchased new equipment. As you all can tell, for those of you who know me, I have still have my D5000, and I have just purchased a D7000 body. I kept the kit lens that came with the D5000 on it, and kept my 18-70mm kit lens that came off of my D70 for the D7000. So, now I have only two Nikon Digitals, and an N65 35mm. I still have all of my film stuff, I just am not going to list it in my signature anymore, because I am upwards of 30 cameras now, Including some vintage polaroids, etc. Anyway, I sold the D2X, D100, D40, D60, and D70. So, My Nikon set is much easier to keep accounted for now.

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread to get some input on what you all think about entry level Nikkor DX kit lenses.

I own both the 18-70, and the 18-55, and have no experience at all with the 18-105, which is why it is not listened.

Of the two mentioned... which one do you like best?

In my experiences, I am a huge fan of the 18-70, and not so much of the 18-55. To me, the 18-70 seems to have much less barrel distortion, it lets in more light, and the shape of the front glass element seems to reduce glare and flare. I also feel it's faster to focus and is much sharper. However, how do you all feel about these lenses?

I was in the same predicament. I had the 18-55VR but have lent it to a friend. I've Been using the 18-70mm ever since and I find the IQ to better. I feel if has a quicker AF than the 18-55mm VR. Plus, it compliments my 70-300mm VR nicely. I also take my 35-70mm 2.8D in case I need that aperture or for portraits. I say keep the 18-70mm.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Most reactions

Back