Kit lenses - what should I do with them now?

GermanyBert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
perpetualimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all.

I recently purchsed the AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED VR and AF-S 70-300 4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR lens.

Two standard lenses came with my D40. The AF-S 18-55 mm and AF-S 55-200 mm.

Now that I have the two new lens that cover more then the ranges of the lenses that came with the camera I am unsure what to do with the original lenses.

Is there any reason why I should hold on to the orignal lenses? Would there ever be a situation that I would use them?

The quality of the kit lenses I am finding out now is no where near the VR lenses I now own. I can not imaging ever attaching the old lenses back on the camera.

I am thinking about putting them on eBay. Yeah, I know I would not get much for them but I don't think I just need them hanging around and the little I would get for them would offset a bit of the VR lens costs.

Last edited:
Sell them then.:mrgreen:

But don't expect the 18-55mm to go too fast. There's SOOOO many of those floating around for sale in various places.

The 18-55 and 55-200 lenses are optically better than the 18-200VR is. You might very well want to keep them until you're 100% sure that you'll like the 18-200VR. I know of a lot of people that have been let down by this lens and let them go, either for the (lack of) image quality, or zoom creep, or other issues. I still love and shoot with my 18-55 lens, the latest VR version. It's just as sharp as my pro 17-55DX f/2.8 lens stopped down at daylight apertures too.

The 18-55 and 55-200 lenses are optically better than the 18-200VR is. You might very well want to keep them until you're 100% sure that you'll like the 18-200VR. I know of a lot of people that have been let down by this lens and let them go, either for the (lack of) image quality, or zoom creep, or other issues. I still love and shoot with my 18-55 lens, the latest VR version. It's just as sharp as my pro 17-55DX f/2.8 lens stopped down at daylight apertures too.

I am gaining a new respect for my 18-55mm lens. I used it recently and thought, "WOW! This is a sharp little kit lens! I think I rather like this fella."

...or something like that.:lol:

I am thinking about putting them on eBay. Yeah, I know I would not get much for them but I don't think I just need them hanging around and the little I would get for them would offset a bit of the VR lens costs.

I don't know. I was looking last night on Ebay for Canon's 100mm USM Macro and there were only 3. Two of them were priced at over $800! This is almost twice the actual price. The other one was priced ok but the user seemed shady. It looked as if he/she had done their own feedback. There were too many similar comments made within minutes of each other. It's worth a try selling on Ebay. I think selling is probably safer on there than buying.

From experience I would say keep them.....I was on a photo shoot with my 55-200mm VR lens and I tripped, fell and broke the lens - luckily I had my trusty kit lens in my bag to finish the shoot!!!!

Keep them- you may want to up grade your body some time and want to sell the kit lens with it, but keep the others.
Also you may get into a situation where you don't want too risk the good lens and use the kits instead.
Judge Sharpe

From experience I would say keep them.....I was on a photo shoot with my 55-200mm VR lens and I tripped, fell and broke the lens - luckily I had my trusty kit lens in my bag to finish the shoot!!!!

That is what was crossing my mind also. I think I will hold on to them for emergencies.

Now comes the bigger problem. How do I hide the original lenses from my wife??!!??!??! She knows I got two lenses when I bought the camera and does not know I bought the two new ones!! :lmao: Both each costing more then what I paid for the D40 with the two lenses!

Come clean right now. NAS is not worth a marrage.

Yah, I know it's just a couple of lenses but you don't want her getting her back up every time you bring out your camera, do you? ;)

Come clean right now. NAS is not worth a marrage.
Have you seen photo samples of the AF-S 200mm f/2 VR for portrait and sports work? I dunno, that's a tough call! :lmao:

I would have to agree with this statement. I use the 18-200 mm only because it is easer to use than having to switch back and forth. However, if I had time I would use the other ones instead. Don't get me wrong I love the 18-200mm when shooting wedding ceremonies so that I don't miss any shots.

Far more compromises have to be made to give you an 11.1x zoom range than with a 3x zoom. You're trading off overall image quality for the greater range.

i would sell them and buy some fast lense or macro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back