Kodak Brownie No.3

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This one has been following me around since the late 70's.

$005 copy.jpg

another dusty junk store rescue, but apart from some dings in the corners it works and still has the carrying strap.

No film available, could tape a cut down sheet in there but never quite got around to fiddling that much in total dark.

used a piece of Ilford MG paper instead. Stuff works out at around ISO 1. Shutter on this one probably a slow 1/30, smallest aperature looks like f16 or thereabouts.

Light today flat and stable. Meter said 1 sec, tried a few longer times but as usual the old Goose is right.

Pretty scruffy image but a picture from the old box nevertheless....

$img178e.jpg

print developed usual, scanned, reversed, inverted and adjusted in PSE

Now that is very cool!

Thanks Rick, think I can coax somethng decent out of this one given the right light conditions.

Agreed. It could sure be a fun project.

Last edited:
Hey,hey hey! Pretty cool! You are resourceful and dedicated! Thanks for posting this!

Good lord. I have a No. Model B (looks basically identical) in my display case: it never occurred to me to try anything with it. It seems as sturdy and basically clean inside as the next everyday 100 year old camera. :lol:

Great job with this!

Thanks everybody. This also model B but no date of manufacture code, at least can't find one. any idea terri, this one has a wood case, thinking around mid to late 'teens.

....and hey, just gotta try them all! ....and find more..

Thanks everybody. This also model B but no date of manufacture code, at least can't find one. any idea terri, this one has a wood case, thinking around mid to late 'teens.

....and hey, just gotta try them all! ....and find more..
Mine doesn't have a particular date of manufacture either, just stamped on the inside with what I believe is the patent date of 1909. You have a wood case? Wow. Mine came unboxed, not much wear around the edges - the typical hard cardboard/metal combo of the day. I looked at it again; while the body looks pretty clean, I don't think anything is shooting through that lens...pooh.

Thanks for sharing this, I've been thinking about trying something similar with direct positive paper (with a subject with no lettering or signs I suppose that will work upside down and backwards!). I have box Brownies that take 120 film, but with the larger ones and a 100 year old 'pocket' Kodak that's bigger than a brick (and I don't know whose pocket it would fit in) that take 116 film I'd like to try the process you used.

Most reactions

Back