Kodak ditches digital cameras/layoffs forthcoming

Another sad chapter for such an inconic company.

And to think, just the other day I pulled out the old Brownie Bulls Eye camera that my mother purchased in the late 50's. It's in mint condition and I'm actually going to get some 620 film (or 120) and play with it.

And to think, just the other day I pulled out the old Brownie Bulls Eye camera that my mother purchased in the late 50's. It's in mint condition and I'm actually going to get some 620 film (or 120) and play with it.

I just pulled out my Kodak Jiffy last night to show it to a friend. I need to order some more 620 film from bhphoto.

At least their printer business may continue to trudge along so the name brand may exist within the market.

"Kodak's continuing consumer products and services will include the traditional film capture and photographic paper business, which continues to provide high-quality and innovative products and solutions to consumers, photographers, retailers, photofinishers and professional labs..."

So that means they're going to produce film cameras, or just the film for the film cameras?

Mark

Sounds like they are going to target the limited film market. To be fair whilst the market will be smaller, for a big company like them, if they can balance things out they should have it almost to themselves. The main players won't want to push back into film as they are fully invested in digital, whilst Kodak can survive off hobbyists, pro med/large format shooters and mostly every school/uni that runs a photography course (since they nearly all run a darkroom and film shooting setup).

Kodak was the one who invent the digital camera, and now .... I guess they need to get rid of the money losing division after filing Chapter 11.

Sounds like they are going to target the limited film market. To be fair whilst the market will be smaller, for a big company like them, if they can balance things out they should have it almost to themselves. The main players won't want to push back into film as they are fully invested in digital, whilst Kodak can survive off hobbyists, pro med/large format shooters and mostly every school/uni that runs a photography course (since they nearly all run a darkroom and film shooting setup).

Was in Walmart and all they had was Fuji film and not much of it. (20 - 30 rolls)

The film tech said Walmart will be phasing out film dveloping machines in the next few months. But machines were Fuji process as well, so no loss for Kodak.

Wonder how it will turn out for K?

edit. Polled another Walmart store and they said they had not heard about cutting out film developing...so conflicting stories.

Last edited:
i just heard about this at my job too! so came here to see what you guys have to say about it.

this makes me all sad and mushy. my first ever camera was a Kodak EasyShare LS420 (it's retired now). it was the first camera i ever owned and it was a birthday present. all the Irish boyband concert pics i took with it too... i took it with me when i moved into a dorm and used it for simple little outdoor pics of foreign places. oh, all the good memories. :(

awww... :(

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back