Kodak DX4530 Digital Camera - Recommendations?

Jofoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. :)

I'm still learning about photography, I really enjoy creative picture-taking and would like to progress to a better digital camera with better resolution. (5.0 MP)

I'm thinking of buying a Kodak DX4530 Easyshare digital camera and wondered if anyone uses it and what they think - here is a link to its specifications.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=1155&pq-locale=en_US

I'm thinking of going for it because it's retailing at £199 (about $300 or so) so seems good value with lots of features. However as I'm interested in more experimental shooting with natural lighting, etc, is it a good choice?

Many thanks in advance.

I may be biased because I own one, but I'd recommend something like the DX6490. It's only a 4 megapixel but I've never been disappointed. The reason I suggest this one is that it's a little more than a point and shoot so as you advance in your photography, it can advance with you. It has some more features and costs about the same. That's just my opinion and I hope it helps.

Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks for the tip Hobbes. :D I will check the camera out.

At the moment I've got a basic Olympus camera which has been fine up till now but I'd really like a camera with higher resolution. Just going for a budget option that will produce creative looking pics and where I can manually adjust the exposure.

Btw, I checked out your photo gallery and really liked your photos - did you use your Kodak DX6490 for those or do you have other cameras too?

Welcome to the site Jofoto,

Don't get too hung up on Mega Pixels. More is not always better. There are other factors that affect picture quality...lens quality, sensor quality...and especially sensor size. For example, the 6MP sensor in a Canon D-Rebel or Nikon D70...is vastly superior to any of the 8MP sensors in compact digital cameras. The reason is sensor size.

I'm not saying you can't take great photo with a compact 4 or 5 MP camera. If that's what's in your budget...then go with that.

Look for a camera that has manual control or at least priority modes. Shutter priority mode and aperture priority mode. These will allow you to better understand photography and get creative, far more than automatic mode.

Thanks Big Mike,

Oh I'm probably going to get all dithery and confused now in my choice - so went back to the Dixons website and tried to find a camera that has shutter/aperture priority AND also allows manual exposure (which is still in my price range). I found HewletPack R707, which goes up to 5.1 M.

Here are the specs....
[deleted link because it spread right across the page!]

I'm just wondering if this will do the job! Can some kind soul take a look and give their opinion. Oh, I'm into landscape type photography if that's any help!

Thanks for your patience! I'll get there in the end!

It looks like an OK camera. We have an older HP digital camera here at work and it's fairly good.

It only has 3X optical zoom, I'd prefer to have more if you can afford it. Digital zoom is a bit misleading...the camera just crops the image, which you could just do yourself when you have the picture on your computer.

There are a lot of cameras that will work for you. Your best bet it too shop around and look for a deal...and also go into a shop and hold them so you can get the feel for the one you want.

OK thanks Mike, will do.

Cheers for your help! :)

Jofoto said:
Thanks for the tip Hobbes. :D I will check the camera out.

At the moment I've got a basic Olympus camera which has been fine up till now but I'd really like a camera with higher resolution. Just going for a budget option that will produce creative looking pics and where I can manually adjust the exposure.

Btw, I checked out your photo gallery and really liked your photos - did you use your Kodak DX6490 for those or do you have other cameras too?

Thanks!

I have a few cameras but all of the ones that are under the landscapes button are all taken with the Kodak. I love the color science chip that brings out the colors without editing. Great camera. Actually, most of the pictures I have posted on the forum are with the DX6490.

Most reactions

Back