Kodak No. 1-A Autographic (w/ photos of the camera)

Well this thread certainly caught my attention, as I own the exact same camera! I snagged mine a few months ago; a lovely museum piece in absolutely pristine condition, inside and out. (even the original case is flawless) It looks and functions every bit as perfect as the day it was made 95 years ago.

Your Autographic 1A was manufactured in 1917. The lens is very sharp and contrasty. There are still many online sources of film for this camera. As for any leaks in the bellows, you can use either fabric paint or dark nail polish, and you're good to go! I am amazed to see that yours is the exact same model and year as mine, as it is indeed quite rare to find one in working condition, as the vast majority of these cameras today are the "Junior" models.

Here's a shot of my Autographic 1A.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

Autographic1A.jpg

Vest Pocket Kodak attached to Sony DSLR-A100 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Vest Pocket Kodaks modified for M42 Mount | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FILM? Who needs FILM when d-slrs abound? lol

I have lost track of it, but there were some really GOOD pictures on Flickr or another host, done with an old Kodak lens rigged to work on a d-slr. What I remember seeing 2 years ago were some really SHARP macro and landscape shots with a 1911-vintage Kodak Anastigmat Lens for an old folder. The lens was designed to cover a BIG piece of film, so the portion of the image circle used on a d-slr is absolutely the "sweetest of the sweet spot" on a format as tiny as 24x36mm. Anyway--cool camera. I'm not much of a collector, and am not familiar with it--but I wonder about the potential for using SHEET FILM in it...that would be affordable. I know the 1a model could use roll film OR glass plates....so...I wonder if maybe the same might be true of the 3a. 4x5 sheet film is pretty cheap these days. Of course, the camera has an old-time charm all on its own, without any need to make even a single photo. It's truly a relic from a bygone era.

You could potentially use sheet film, if it is fixed to the back of the camera in the darkroom.

Also, there is a place to get 116 film. Central Camera in Chicago has it. They can also develop it for you, if you don't have the means to develop black and white at home.

Film for Older Cameras :: Film :: Central Camera Company40 a roll. Still pricey, but substantially cheaper than the $500 you saw on eBay. $40 is worth it to take something like that out once and use it.
Unfortunately, it isn't autographic film. However, it will work in your camera, despite what the panel on the back says. :)

Well this thread certainly caught my attention, as I own the exact same camera! I snagged mine a few months ago; a lovely museum piece in absolutely pristine condition, inside and out. (even the original case is flawless) It looks and functions every bit as perfect as the day it was made 95 years ago.

Your Autographic 1A was manufactured in 1917. The lens is very sharp and contrasty. There are still many online sources of film for this camera. As for any leaks in the bellows, you can use either fabric paint or dark nail polish, and you're good to go! I am amazed to see that yours is the exact same model and year as mine, as it is indeed quite rare to find one in working condition, as the vast majority of these cameras today are the "Junior" models.

Thanks Glen! That was really helpful. :)

Oops, sorry, I just noticed that your camera is indeed the "Junior" model. I had mistakenly thought it was identical to mine.

As for film for these cameras, if the 116 film is too expensive, it is quite simple to modify these cameras to use the much cheaper 120 film, with great results.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

Tyler, I cant wait to see you getting some images off that thing.

Most reactions

Back